Mystery Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaytejm29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have Jerry (my daughter named him, lol we don't even know if it IS a him, lol). He's done well, survived many water changes and a switch from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank.

He doesn't come out of the tank that often but today I noticed he's hanging a the top. He was half in and half out but now he's completely out. Just sitting there, not sure what is up.

Is he okay??? Out of all the months I've had him, I've not seen this. I did recently lose to 2 Sterbai Corydoras, though I think that is unrelated. They were new and I think it was stress that killed them.

Just want to make sure that I'm not expecting another loss, lol.

Snails like to escape from the tanks. It's ok to pick him up and put him back in the tank. Just gently place him face up on the bottom.

The snail may be a female looking for a place about 1.5 or 2 inches above the water line to lay eggs.

You could try removing a couple inches of water and see if you end up with eggs.

OR water parameters are out of line and not is the safe zone.

Have you tested the water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
& NitrAte

pH?

Any others if you have them to post.

Is there a lid on the tank?

The snail may be a female looking for a place about 1.5 or 2 inches above the water line to lay eggs.

You could try removing a couple inches of water and see if you end up with eggs.

OR water parameters are out of line and not is the safe zone.

Have you tested the water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
& NitrAte

pH?

Any others if you have them to post.

Is there a lid on the tank?

Back
Top Bottom