Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mystery snail baby?

Could this possibly be a baby mystery snail or is it a pest snail? I havenít bought any plants for a long time. There were mystery snails eggs that I got rid of, but I may have left one.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDFCC3B8-23C1-4134-A136-E43282328365.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	315892   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEF45883-99F0-4EF6-81C8-2B268F55B453.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	315893  

Old 04-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi it looks like a ramshorn snail to me.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awe man, I’ve gotten rid of a lot of those, will they overrun my tank? Not sure where he came from
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as you don't overfeed they *shouldn't* overrun your tank
Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have mystery snails so I need to feed them broccoli, zucchini, spinach ext. I feed them twice a week. The fish finish the food before it falls, and if it does the mystery snails get it. How do I feed these snails without feeding the pests and causing them to over breed? How many will be in my tank if I don’t over feed? I saw a trumpet snail in there today. I like them, but my tank bioload can’t handle 100s of them.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one can tell you how many you will have because we don’t know how much food is in your tank/ substrate/ decaying plants/ algae etc.

If you don’t mind them too much just keep feeding to a minimum and physically remove them by baiting with lettuce occasionally or crushing them against the wall for fish to eat.

If you want them gone you could add a smaller assassin snail. I wouldn’t add a group if you have larger snails you don’t want to become prey. (Or move the snails you want to keep to another tank for a while. ) Assassins will focus on snails in their preferred size but there have been reports of groups ganging up on larger snails. I keep mine in a tank separated from any dwarf shrimp or smaller nerites. There is one large nerite in the tank that I only see rarely but I think he’s still there. (My tank is super dense with plants so sometimes I go a while without seeing it but I’ve never found a shell) so I think my assassin is just scavenging the gravel these days.

Lol I kinda feel bad for the guy and was going to take him back to my lfs since I have no more little snails in there but with everyone practically on lock down that seems an unwise reason for a trip out! Once I get new shrimp I may move him to my dwarf shrimp tank that is currently battling a bacterial infection. Having a predator in there taking out the weak/ sick shrimp may actually improve the health of the colony in this case...
Old 04-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll take this snail if you don't want them ? Would you ship free though?

Tags
baby, mystery, mystery snail, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com