Mystery snail mating questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteffeyJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, for the last year or so, I've had 2 large mystery snails, a gold female and a brown/black male.
I ended up receiving a purple mystery snail as a teeny tiny baby and it since has grown to the same massive size...
Sadly, I lost my gold female due to a fall and broken shell... :( I was devastated...
But she laid many clutches and so I have about 15 or so little babies now growing in a tank.
But still have the original brown/black male and the purple one who is now just as big..

And the crazy thing is I just caught the purple one riding the black one and his entire 'male part' was out and was inside my other ALSO MALE black snail!!
How is this possible?!
Is he trying to show dominance?
Or are they actually engaging in 'business'??
Is that even possible?!?
I am sooo confused!!
And I am ABSOLUTELY 10000000% POSITIVE THEY ARE BOTH IN FACT MALES.

can anyone help explain to me what is going on?!
And secondly, should I separate them??

I know this all sounds funny. But I am truly at a loss with this one...

Thank you for any help or advice!

The applesnail.net site showed very specifically male and female. Maybe the one is just checking out if there are any possibilities for mating with the the other. Missing the previous active lifestyle he had before with the gold one???

There isn't anything to come of it if they aren't opposite sex.

It's the purple one tho on top!
That's the one I got as a baby that never mated as far as I know!
My big black one is the one that was CONSTANTLY mating with my gold one..
He honestly seems so lost without her.
He never used to go in his shell, but now he does from time to time. But he is also getting old.. so might be his time soon as well, sadly!
But yes, maybe the purple one was just 'testing the waters' it's the only other snail his size, so he was probably just seeing if he could... maybe?!
I dont know!! It is sooo weird to me! Lol.
I miss my gold snail so much.. :( but there is ONE baby, that looks JUST like her! The rest are kind of a mix. But this one, I am hoping to keep. And only one other.
Will probably 'donate' the rest of the babies to my LFS.
I do not have the space for 10+ mystery snails once they really start growing!
It only took a month or two for my purple 'pea' to become a 'golf ball'!!! They grow so fast!!
But I didnt have the heart to toss the remaining clutches I had incubating once she passed, so I tried to save them all and ended up with quite alot!
But, on the plus side, it is helping with the ramshorn explosion I've been battling!
Thanks again!! :)

Back
Top Bottom