Mystery snail sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LLG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tiny planted tank (3.5 gallons) with a betta and a mystery snail. They were both doing really well until I had a disaster a few weeks ago, when the substrate got covered in white stuff that looked like mold and the water was really cloudy. I posted about it here.

After a major water change, gravel vacuuming and a new filter (a couple of weeks later), the whole tank looks much better. The fish is back to making bubble nests and looks happy, but the snail has not recovered. It lies around on its back with the operculum part way open. The siphon and antennae don't show any more. I thought it might have died but it closes up if tapped. I turned right way up but the next time I looked, it had turned back onto its back again. It does not crawl on the glass or touch the 1/4 of an algae wafer that I put in every few days.

Is this normal behavior for a snail? Is it sick?
Thanks for your help (again!)

I have a tiny planted tank (3.5 gallons) with a betta and a mystery snail. They were both doing really well until I had a disaster a few weeks ago, when the substrate got covered in white stuff that looked like mold and the water was really cloudy. I posted about it here.

After a major water change, gravel vacuuming and a new filter (a couple of weeks later), the whole tank looks much better. The fish is back to making bubble nests and looks happy, but the snail has not recovered. It lies around on its back with the operculum part way open. The siphon and antennae don't show any more. I thought it might have died but it closes up if tapped. I turned right way up but the next time I looked, it had turned back onto its back again. It does not crawl on the glass or touch the 1/4 of an algae wafer that I put in every few days.

Is this normal behavior for a snail? Is it sick?
Thanks for your help (again!)
Hello, sounds like something is irritating or hurt his foot. Has anything changed in tank(added salt,used meds, or the stuff that covered tank could have hurt him)? I would set a sm plate in tank w/piece of cucumber(use fork to hold down) on it & see if he'll crawl to it or even set him on it so he eats. You may want to get a breeding net(Walmart 3$)to keep him from making contact w/gravel to see if he improves. Hope this helps!!!!!

20191202_114040.jpg

This is what he looks like today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I don't have any cucumber at home and am snowed in right now but hope to get one tomorrow.
I tried to take a picture because his antennae (is that what they are) were sort of curled up.
The only thing that changed was that white stuff on the gravel that appeared after I put a slow release food pellet in for the betta, when I was away. He was so healthy before - I didn't know about cycling a tank and just put them both in to water from the faucet. He crawled all over the tank for months and ate really well.

Thanks. I don't have any cucumber at home and am snowed in right now but hope to get one tomorrow.
I tried to take a picture because his antennae (is that what they are) were sort of curled up.
The only thing that changed was that white stuff on the gravel that appeared after I put a slow release food pellet in for the betta, when I was away. He was so healthy before - I didn't know about cycling a tank and just put them both in to water from the faucet. He crawled all over the tank for months and ate really well.
I've read some bad things about vacation feeders. They will desolve to quickly & cause an ammonia spike or raise nitrates sky high. Both can harm or even kill your pets(some people will let fast till they return).
I believe your snail may be suffering from ammonia burns. If not damaged to severely he may recover. I would do 30% water change now & then one every 2 days w/temp matched & conditioned water(fresh water does wonders). It should do beta & snail good.

I've read some bad things about vacation feeders. They will desolve to quickly & cause an ammonia spike or raise nitrates sky high. Both can harm or even kill your pets(some people will let fast till they return).
I believe your snail may be suffering from ammonia burns. If not damaged to severely he may recover. I would do 30% water change now & then one every 2 days w/temp matched & conditioned water(fresh water does wonders). It should do beta & snail good.
Hello, did snail make it?

You have good advice above.

Have you got the basics about fish keeping and cycling a tank?

The 1st article below will help you and give you a resource to refer back to when needed. The additional articles are because you have a fish right now, and it might be that the tank is not cycled and the snail is being affected by that.

Do you use a dechlorinator product now, not just tap water?

Do you know about the nitrification cycle?

Do you have a test kit to identify ammonia, nitrite and nitrAte?
How about TDS,
KH aka Calcium aka Alkalinity?
General Hardness /GH?

Doing a water change as previously mentioned will continue to help if the snail is suffering from some effect from a toxic water situation.

The main thing is to make sure you do not get more spikes moving the water to dangerous and deadly.

Having a cycled filter will help.

The more times there are unsafe water conditions it stresses and injures the fish or snail until there is a disease or death.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Hi, all, the snail is still alive but not moving around. I put him onto a slice of cucumber but I didn't see him eating, he was just sitting on it. I knew he was alive because his shell snapped shut when I disturbed him. A couple of pond snails were on the cucumber. Thanks for the advice. I am getting tired of reaching into the tank and picking up snails.

Hi, all.
Since my last post on December 6th, the snail is still alive. He has been looking a little more active. I saw his siphon once and he waves his antennae (?) around, opens and closes on his own, not just when he is bothered by humans. I saw him eating a cucumber slice and once, a piece of algae pellet.

But he is still upside down. I have turned him right side up a few times but he doesn't crawl around and ends up on his back again. The aquarium glass is starting to build up algae, which I scrub off every week when I change the water, but I didn't know if I should leave some there for him.

I don't understand how he can survive like that. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom