Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought my 1st Mystery Snails around 2 weeks ago & I am totally fascinated by them. I just watched the black one in my 46g for about an hour, He/she made a complete circuit of the tank. It just amazes me how they get around & over the plants & decos. So is there a rule of thumb for how many to have in a tank?

I don't think there's any rule. I don't keep snails any more. When they die it stinks.

I have two in a 10 gallon for about 8 months. They do get around quick and like to slide on all the decor and the glass. I might not see them for a few days but they are fun to watch when they are out and about.

As for how many, Im not sure. I would guess it is the same rule of thumb as with how many fish in a 46 gallon tank. I read snails produce as much waste as most fish.

Bettaowner, I have heard the stench is horrific. LOL

Aquarium2012, I have 1 each in my 2 10g tanks with the male Bettas & 2 in the 46g with 5 fish. I saw one do his business & let's just say I was astounded. LOL. They move much faster than I gave them credit for.

Don't forget to feed them. They like algae wafers and veggies. They need calcium supplementation. I use liquid calcium made for reef tanks, some on here use bird's cuttlebones. I also add a small amount of iodine to the tank water. They can get very large so don't get too many. I have 4 in a 29g tank.

And yes they do smell very bad when they die.

brennae said:
Don't forget to feed them. They like algae wafers and veggies. They need calcium supplementation. I use liquid calcium made for reef tanks, some on here use bird's cuttlebones. I also add a small amount of iodine to the tank water. They can get very large so don't get too many. I have 4 in a 29g tank.

And yes they do smell very bad when they die.

Good to know. I drop the algae tabs 2-3 times a week & a veggie once a week but did not know about the calcium or iodine. One of mine is already fairly big, don't know how big they get, I should prob do some Googling. :)

Some can get golfball sized. The calcium and iodine are to keep their shells strong. Kent Marine makes good Calcium and Iodine for reefs. You just put a little of each in the tank every few days. More calcium than iodine though. I feed mine everyday to every other day and they are growing fast. There is hardly any algae in my tank, so I feel like I need to feed them more.

Just wait until they start laying eggs!
I've had magenta colored snails I bough off ebay and they are so pretty! You never see that color in the stores.

brennae said:
Some can get golfball sized. The calcium and iodine are to keep their shells strong. Kent Marine makes good Calcium and Iodine for reefs. You just put a little of each in the tank every few days. More calcium than iodine though. I feed mine everyday to every other day and they are growing fast. There is hardly any algae in my tank, so I feel like I need to feed them more.

Just wait until they start laying eggs!
I've had magenta colored snails I bough off ebay and they are so pretty! You never see that color in the stores.

Thank you for the information I will definitely be getting those items. I'm guessing since you use liquid they don't need to actually eat the calcium or are they consuming it through their scavenging?

You know I think they must absorb it, but I am not sure. A snail breeder shared these tricks with me and they have given good results. I did place a small piece of cuttlebone in the tank and the snails have nothing to do with it. I don't know if it is breaking down and adding calcium to the water that way or not. When you use the supplements the snails don't get those unattractive growth "lines". They have a more consistent shell. Also they are escape artisits. They can be out of water for a short time but if they fall and crack their shell then its all over.

The general rule of thumb for mystery snails is one snail per 2.5 gallons.​

Back
Top Bottom