Mystery Snails...gotta love them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what do you do with the snails you don't want to breed or the many, many baby snails? Do you sell them or just keep them? Your snails are gorgeous, by the way!

I keep the pretty ones. The others are sold on eBay or LFS. If I have too many egg clusters then I remove them and discard.

To halt reproduction all that is required is to raise the water level to under 2 inches or so from the top of the tank.
the females will climb up & check the overhead space & retreat.
BTW I have 2 more clutch's now should be hatching in another cple weeks,there was 5 survivors after I had to temporarally rehome 3 larger gold fish for a few weeks.
this time I've applied saran wrap loosly to the side of the tank over the casings down into the water to keep them damp,we'll see how it goes.

The higher water level hasn't worked for me. They just lay them under the lid/tank top.

Well seems you cursed me with the :ermm: "high water doesn't work for me" statement for I look the next morning & Aphrodite has laid a small strip (about 3/4 inch long)in wifes tank.
she would have had to of had over 3/4 of her shell under water to do that where she did..LOL

I'm so jealous right now, my friend bred a chimera mystery snail. It's body is half black half white. We're hoping she can breed a line! I just thought you might find this interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1492144887856.jpg
    1492144887856.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 103
holy moly that is interesting, I have never heard of the sorts
You definitely have my good luck,
Good luck!
Nate

I'm so jealous right now, my friend bred a chimera mystery snail. It's body is half black half white. We're hoping she can breed a line! I just thought you might find this interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool.

Your snails look sooo pretty!! I wish I can get a light purple one from you. I already have a gold one in my tank but not nearly as pretty.

I have a question though. My snail loves to eat my plant leaves!! Even moss!! I see that you tank is heavily planted. How do you stop them from eating the plants?

What kind of snail? And what kind of plants? My snails generally leave most plants alone. But I stick with tougher leaves. Anacharis was eaten like candy.
Any plant that is struggling will be eaten.

What kind of snail? And what kind of plants? My snails generally leave most plants alone. But I stick with tougher leaves. Anacharis was eaten like candy.
Any plant that is struggling will be eaten.

Apple snail. Sorry I don't remember the plant names. I am a very new fish/shrimp/snail keeper. Here is a picture of my snail. It has algae on the shell. The shrimps often hop on and take a ride while having a feast. Image1492177020.380002.jpg

Egg laying has begun! Three clutches already. This is one of the proud parents. IMG_9026.jpg

We have a terrestrial visitor. Otala lactea "Milk Snail". IMG_9028.jpg

My hubbie brought one home for a visit. There are a bunch of them in the fields around where he works.

I am not sure what kind of snails these are but are they mating? I though snails were asexual. Can someone fill me in and if they are mating let me know if I have to do anything extra to help the offspring survive. IMG_0313.jpgIMG_0314.jpg

I believe those are gold mystery snails. I have two also, and yes I believe that behavior leads to this... 1496275483156.jpg

Attachments

• 1496275483156.jpg
    1496275483156.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 59
Wow this is cool. Is there anything I should do if they do lay eggs? How long will they take to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom