Mystery surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I was rinsing some new plants in a bowl when I noticed something moving...no, not a snail but a shrimp! So ok, new project...set up the old betta 1g (one of my dogs died last week, the tanks have been keeping me busy and sane) with some sand, plants, water, put it in. If I had to guess I'd say it's a poorly colored RCS? Looks healthy and very active. My question is should I put it in the my other RCS? Other options are a yellow shrimp tank that will be up by the end of the week.

Attachments

• Jan 13 2015 clear shrimp.jpg
    Jan 13 2015 clear shrimp.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 161
Sure, put him in, what is the worst that could happen? Maybe a small brood of cross breeds? Go back to the store you got the plants at, and ask what kind of shrimp they have. The tank with those plants in it will most likely have the shrimp. It looks like a small Neo species to me.

Nils

Sure, put him in, what is the worst that could happen? Maybe a small brood of cross breeds? Go back to the store you got the plants at, and ask what kind of shrimp they have. The tank with those plants in it will most likely have the shrimp. It looks like a small Neo species to me.

I'm thinking Neo as well.

I got the plants from an eBay seller who insists he doesn't have shrimp. Guess he thought I was upset, which I'm not.

I think for now I'll leave him in the 1g for a bit, see if he gets color or not.

That's a ghost/glass/grass shrimp. They are commonly sold as feeder shrimp, but make decent/interesting display shrimp too!

That's a ghost/glass/grass shrimp. They are commonly sold as feeder shrimp, but make decent/interesting display shrimp too!

I put it in my Endler's tank. It's still small but will it be a problem with fish fry when it gets larger?

No, he should be fine, I'd get cheap Cherry Shrimp and do a small little cross breeding project, see if you can get any nice colors out!

Nils

No, he should be fine, I'd get cheap Cherry Shrimp and do a small little cross breeding project, see if you can get any nice colors out!

Nils

That's what I was thinking! I have some reds, getting yellow and oranges in the next week or so.

Yes that is a ghost shrimp its so fun to try and find them in the tank!

Yes that is a ghost shrimp its so fun to try and find them in the tank!

I know, right? It's now living in my Endlers tank so between their craziness and all the floating plants I rarely see it!

The mystery friend last night; I'm starting to think it's a poorly colored RCS:

Attachments

• Jan 20 2015 mystery.jpg
    Jan 20 2015 mystery.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 105
It's still rather small but to be on the safe side it's the only shrimp in my Endlers tank.

Looking more closely at both pictures, I'm going to have to take back my comment about that being a glass shrimp. As pointed out, the tail shape is wrong as it doesn't have the characteristic hump in the tail of the glass shrimp. That probably is just a very pale RCS.

Back
Top Bottom