Need a little help with my Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashry111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! Thanks for allowing me to join! So here is a little about my tank and my newest problem or question rather....

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 cory catfish, 1 St. Rasbora, and 7 amono shrimp that I just added to the tank yesturday. My fish have been in there for months/year+ anyways my amono shrimp are all but active. Clinging to the back of the filter and any effort of mine to get them to move from the back of the filter doesn’t work they just swim straight back there.

I have shrimp tubes, 3 fake plants, a castle, bridge,and even a cave that looks like sunken barrels(which is one of my favorite peices of deor).

So my question is will these shrimp ever move from the filter? I think 2-3 have gone to find other hiding places.... but at least 4-5 are hiding around/behind the filter..

I checked my levels last night.... (I do not have an ammonia tester) and the nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 10-20 ph is 7.0-7.5....

So I really just need to know if this is normal and they just need time or if I should be concerned?

Thanks!!:)

I have 2 amanos in a planted aquarium with driftwood and I do not see them throughout the day. Come evening time they tend to comeout from the drift wood crevices and move about the plants eating algae i from what i can tell. Maybe the back of the filter is their food source/safe area? Do the come out in the evening?

Well...

It has been 3 days now.... still refuse to stay at the bottem.... They are all clustered on the back of the filter and heater. Happened to net one carefully and tried to get it to stay at the bottom where I released him.... to no avail... He within 2 minutes swam back up to the filter.

There is algea growing all over on the tank walls and not primarily on the back one. I bought these guys thinking they would get to work and love the algea growing everywhere.... not so as of yet at least....

I try not to bother them with lights at night to look... but when I have they still are usually at the top behind the heater and filter!!

I soon will be forced to clean the tank walls of algea because they are getting pretty bad... which wouldn’t have been a problem if these guys would just go eat it all up. They eat what little grows at the top back wall... but that is it. :ermm:

Any luck with the Amano shrimp? I had purchased some as well to deal with the algae issues. I ended getting two Myself Snails which removed all traces of green algae from my 38 gallon tank in a little over a week.

Back
Top Bottom