Need help identifying Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyun808

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bought jungle val and it had a single snail attached to it .
Not sure if it is pond snail or what. It has been here for about 2 weeks now with no issues .
It's in a freshwater tank with dwarf gourami, mollies and corydoras .

Is it safe to have in the tank? Is it beneficial?
What is it and what does it eat mostly ?
File attached !

Ps: Theres actually TWO . Never seen them together and they are currently 2 -3 inches away from each other...
Should I be worried they will breed ?

Attachments

• 20201023_105001.jpg
    20201023_105001.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201023_104956.jpg
    20201023_104956.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 27
It is a Ramshorn snail. I really like them. If you have fish which might enjoy the extra snail bodies as food you can squish extras. Fish will eat them. And you might find a local hobbyist who has Loaches or a puffer fish which also enjoy eating them to pass them along / trade for some plants.

If you tend to have harder water and over feed, then you will probably have way more of them than you need. It is probable where there are 2, there are groups of eggs on the leaves.

The little globs are clear with dots inside small like a size of a circle pencil eraser.

Imho, you can feel them pretty easily running your fingers over the length of the leaves. You can push them off with a finger nail.

My water is below 7 pH usually and snails do not feel that it is the most hospitable environment, until I over feed. Then I will get a bunch. But stop over feeding so much and their population declines automatically even after hatching.

Many people hate snails, but they are excellent cleaners, (though they poop some too). Trying to be fair.

It is a Ramshorn snail. I really like them. If you have fish which might enjoy the extra snail bodies as food you can squish extras. Fish will eat them. And you might find a local hobbyist who has Loaches or a puffer fish which also enjoy eating them to pass them along / trade for some plants.

If you tend to have harder water and over feed, then you will probably have way more of them than you need. It is probable where there are 2, there are groups of eggs on the leaves.

The little globs are clear with dots inside small like a size of a circle pencil eraser.

Imho, you can feel them pretty easily running your fingers over the length of the leaves. You can push them off with a finger nail.

My water is below 7 pH usually and snails do not feel that it is the most hospitable environment, until I over feed. Then I will get a bunch. But stop over feeding so much and their population declines automatically even after hatching.

Many people hate snails, but they are excellent cleaners, (though they poop some too). Trying to be fair.

Thank you! I was able to identify it on reddit but I appreciate the extra info!
Do they mate easily ? I feel like I've never seen them together. But seen them next to each other once or twice for the last 3 weeks lol.

I really dont want them to have eggs! But I feel like my fat mollies and dwarf gouramis would find and eat them anyways...
My dwarf gourami already tried to nibble on the snail shell but got bored.
They ignore it even when its on the top of the rock in the middle of my sand substrate so I guess its not food on their menu lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom