nerite snail keeps flipping on its back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here's a weird one. I've had nerites before and I am familiar with them occasionally falling onto their backs and sometimes needing a helping hand to get upright.

I got two new nerites to join the couple I already have in my 29G. I am gradually moving my shrimp from a 5 into my new 10 so I split the established filter media between the two and put the two new nerites into the established 5g with a few remaining cherries because it already had lots of algae. Drip acclimated and when I put them in the five they were super active right away. Spent several days absolutely going to town on all the algae. Good, yay.

Fast forward to a few days later, I find them both on their backs. I pull them out to do the smell check and they are obviously still alive, hatch slams closed when I move them and no smell. Ok weird... .well maybe they just fell. So I turn them upright and move on with my day.

Go back later.... they are on their backs again. still alive, still pull back into their shell when I move them.

Every time I put them upright, when I come back they are in the same spot... but on their side again.

temp about 76, no ammonia/nitrites nitrates very low, usually barely noticeable on the color chart. No copper (and if there was I imagine my cherry shrimp would be dying too) kH/gh ~4. There's no fish in the tank to knock them over... what's going on? Any ideas?

I have two nerites in my 29 gallon already and yeah.... they're all over the place in there.

plenty of food still. And they've obviously been eating because they left little trails all through the algae that is there! It's very strange. The snail comes out and flips itself over more or less intentionally as far as I can tell. I actually watched one of them do it. Never seen anything like that before.

I would just assume trouble acclimating if they hadn't been so active for the first few days. Can nerite snails overeat :p Maybe it's post thanksgiving syndrome!

I'd just wait it out? Honestly don't know. Do you still flip them? Maybe don't, and see what they do.

I'd just wait it out? Honestly don't know. Do you still flip them? Maybe don't, and see what they do.

Yeah I've pretty much stopped messing with them. Just check ammonia from time to time to make sure one of them hasn't kicked the bucket.

*shrugs*

I've seen them flip over after an eating binge and have read that they can stay that way for days. Could be food coma.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom