Nerite snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I’ve had a nerite snail for 1.5 years in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with driftwood. My other nerite snails shells are fine but my black racer has a part Of it that’s disintegrating. Will adding a small amount of tums help? I’m worried about it hurting the water quality. Will eggshells work better, I think they take awhile to break down? Will a high ph harm my better? It’s low 6 and then 7ish after water changes.

Adding one TUMS is just fine. Professionals do it all the time. pH in the 7ish range is perfect.

Will tums raise ph? I have peppermint tums, is flavored ok? I’m worried about hurting water quality but clearly water is to acidic for my nerite snail

I think they prefer strawberry :). What is the pH of your water now? I just float/sink a 1/3rd piece of cuttlebone in the tank. Lasts for months and months.

My merited won’t eat it, they only eat algae or so Mach, it’s just to add for calcium in the water and raise ph. My ph is low 6.6 so I need to slowly get it up to 7. I just ordered cuttlebone on amazon so hopefully that does the trick

Back
Top Bottom