Nerite snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my zebra and tiger snails are often upside down all the time! As soon as I flip them over they're on their way moving again. Are they unable to flip themselves back over!? I have sand substrate with lava rocks, driftwood and it’s full of live plants. I never find my black racer upside down. This summer I’m going on a two week trip and will have someone feed , but I’m worried they will flip over and can’t get back over! I had no idea this was a thing with them. My mystery snails never have this happen . Maybe if I left them they’d flip over? Doesn’t seem like they can

I’m not sure if you’re expecting a different answer this time but you’ve got me again and mine hasn’t changed. :lol: They can usually right themselves but they tend to have more trouble in new environments and on sand. It’s probable they would get back over again eventually but no need to stress them out waiting for that if you happen to see it.

Is there a particular place they are falling off of, or a tank mate that is startling them frequently? How often is it happening? Is it always the same snail. If so it could be that particular snail is a little weak or has an injured foot or something causing it to have more trouble than usual.

I used to have a zebra and handful of horned nerites. Part of my daily routine was checking for snails to flip back over. It’s been a long time but I seem to recall reading somewhere they have trouble righting themselves but I don’t remember why. Maybe their bodies aren’t big/long enough compared to other types of snails?

Back
Top Bottom