nerite snails is this normal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello , say I have 2 of these snails . Since changing the substraight from plain old gravel to florite , these snails are way less active . It is common now to see them bury themselfs in the substraight for hours at a time . Used to be that they were very active . I do change the water once a week ( 50% )
Should I be concerned ? Thanks ! :)

Hello , say I have 2 of these snails . Since changing the substraight from plain old gravel to florite , these snails are way less active . It is common now to see them bury themselfs in the substraight for hours at a time . Used to be that they were very active . I do change the water once a week ( 50% )
Should I be concerned ? Thanks ! :)
it may be because the new gravel is clean with no algae build up for them to munch on. snails will be less active (and will even go back in their shells for a long period of time) if they have a limited or no food source. (this is the info my local fish store gave me and the guy I speak to always give me sound advice as I know he has had for for a very long time - both at home and his store)

it may be because the new gravel is clean with no algae build up for them to munch on. snails will be less active (and will even go back in their shells for a long period of time) if they have a limited or no food source. (this is the info my local fish store gave me and the guy I speak to always give me sound advice as I know he has had for for a very long time - both at home and his store)

ok thanks ! :)
is their something else I could feed them ?

ok thanks ! :)
is their something else I could feed them ?
I've put in a brussel sprout before tied to a stone and they and tell that. you can and also put lettuce leaf in. there are loads of green vegetables you can add (don't add loads though as it can affect water balance). just check online... I found a list, I just can't remeber them all right now lol hope this helps.

Sheet seaweed is great.
how will cichlids do with nerite snails? I have cichlids at work and I know that the snails are very active and interesting to watch (interesting enough for the children to watch.. which is why we have the fish tank at work as it is). bit just wondered if I got some for that tank of they would be OK... I don't want to add them if they are going to get eaten?

I only had blue rams, so my cichlid experience is pretty limited. However, they loved eating the baby snails. They left the rabbit babies alone, but I couldn't get the Japanese trapdoor snails out quickly enough. You won't have baby nerites, so I would expect that they would be alright. Which cichlids do you have?

ideas planning on growing the nsials big on my tank and then transferring them so they were small. I have, I think, saulosi cichlids... which if memory serves are African ones. but unfortunately we weren't told the species when the man serviced and filled our tank! I knew they were cichlids but only through research have I narrowed not down...... the ones we have are unique in sense. the cichlids are yellow,... turning blue if they are male and depending... and the darkness of the blue colour shows their hierarchy. (really interesting when the male dominant died darkest Blue- died and you saw the 'second in command' turn a darker blue.

how will cichlids do with nerite snails? I have cichlids at work and I know that the snails are very active and interesting to watch (interesting enough for the children to watch.. which is why we have the fish tank at work as it is). bit just wondered if I got some for that tank of they would be OK... I don't want to add them if they are going to get eaten?

I have a cichlid that's a bit of a jerk to the plecko in the tank as well as my nerite snails, he picked at them a little at first but got bored. They're pretty good at staying inside their shell and don't leave much flesh out. So after about 3 days my cichlid lost interest in them and the snails are doing great in that tank. I have 3 in there; 2 are red and black spotted and one is green and black stripped, one of the red ones is small and still does great. They also look so cool when they are eating on the glass and I love to watch them eat so I'm sure the kids will find their mouths very interesting too and mine have always been very active eaters. Best of luck!

I have a cichlid that's a bit of a jerk to the plecko in the tank as well as my nerite snails, he picked at them a little at first but got bored. They're pretty good at staying inside their shell and don't leave much flesh out. So after about 3 days my cichlid lost interest in them and the snails are doing great in that tank. I have 3 in there; 2 are red and black spotted and one is green and black stripped, one of the red ones is small and still does great. They also look so cool when they are eating on the glass and I love to watch them eat so I'm sure the kids will find their mouths very interesting too and mine have always been very active eaters. Best of luck!
awesome :) I'll let the grow a bit bigger before moving them. I also need to take out some fry from the work tank as we currently have so many!!! thank you :)

well thought I would update the thread . My 2 snails are truckin along . But they do seem to like to bury themself isn the substraight . One did so for a week ! I started to get concerned that it was dead , but after digging thru my substraight I found the little guy . These guys seem to have no ryme or reason to their habits , they just bury themselfs for a time and poof one day you will see them truckin along ! :D

Back
Top Bottom