Nerite snails trying to escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Java_moose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had one nerite with my (pretty laid back) betta for a couple months and this has never happened before.

Two days ago I added two similarly sized nerites to the 5 gallon tank. A few hours later it had crawled about an inch out of the water and was sitting on the rim when I found him. I gently pulled him off and put him in the tank.
This morning I found the other one on the rim.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Oh and water parameters are in check, and there is plenty of food

My 1st thought was water quality but since that's not an issue I'm not sure...I keep nerites & have not had any do this...could your Betts be bothering them is another question...

Mine do this sometimes they like to eat the film above the water, i also get algae near my lid so they climb onto that as well. I just leave them and they make their own way down:)

My nerites climb out all the time. Found 3 of them on top of my light fixture yesterday. They always hang out above the water line. I just keep my eye on them.

This is a perfectly natural behavior I would not worry about it at all. Now if your snails weren't active at all then that would be cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom