Nerite won't stay in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGeekOwl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been having an issue with one of my nerite snails refusing to stay in the tank / water. It's not the tank conditions cause I have a Betta, shrimp, and other snails that are living happily in it. Whenever I slide the snail back into the water minutes later it's climbed back out of the water line. As of right now it's barely moved for two days and I keep splashing water on it to make sure it doesn't dry out. Should I just leave it be? Is it just suicidal?

:oops:They can be odd individuals, can't they? Taking time out of the water is normal. The "rule" is approx 12 hours out, though I've seen some of mine stay out for days at a time.

They are nocturnal, so possibly it goes in for a dip at night and then returns to the air when you're around and noticing it more.

I have one that disappeared into a back corner as soon as it was introduced into the tank; I searched for a month and never found it. Assumed it was dead. Then, a deep vac unearthed it and it began to move slowly and eat slowly as though it had been in a coma for that month. Eventually it made up for lost time, and now it's a hefty eater and one of the bigger guys.

It's still alive and one can only assume it knows where the water is:oops: so I would watch and see what happens

I had one that never stayed in the tank, it finally died if I recall correctly. It's honestly why I will never get nerites again. It was my first and last lol.

Back
Top Bottom