New shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I am totally new to having shrimp and have a bunch of questions! Atm I have four cherry shrimp in a ten litre tank but I can never seem to see my shrimp. I was thinking that it may be the colour of the stone but I’m afraid that if I put some stones in I may crush my shrimp. I am also wondering what gender my shrimp are. They are all low grade and partially see-through but one is considerably brighter than the rest.
Thanks in advance x

Hoping your tanks is cycled and has some age on it. Shrimp really red some good biofilm to graze on to give them a great start in a new tank.

And I pretty sure ninjas learned how to hide from shrimp.

They can be quite shy, especially after being moved into a new home, or if they are kept together with big and/or aggressive fish that might pester them. They also tend to be less shy if kept in larger numbers. But if the tank is cycled and stable and all the parametres are correct I wouldn't worry. It took quite a long time for my amanos to come out of their shell, so to speak ;) Make sure they have lots of hiding spaces to make them feel safe, and that filter intake can't suck them up, as that can be a potential danger (especially for babies).

Hi

I am totally new to having shrimp and have a bunch of questions! Atm I have four cherry shrimp in a ten litre tank but I can never seem to see my shrimp. I was thinking that it may be the colour of the stone but I’m afraid that if I put some stones in I may crush my shrimp. I am also wondering what gender my shrimp are. They are all low grade and partially see-through but one is considerably brighter than the rest.

Thanks in advance x

I recommend getting a bigger tank... ten liters is a little small... I would try getting some brown/black shrimp/plant substrate, makes it a little bit easier to see cherries. Like mentioned before, get some more hides in the tank. Love prepacked plants from stores for hides, be careful with plants in tanks to avoid snail problems.

I have one cherry and a couple amano's. There tank is a 25 tall planted. They love it. The cherry swims laps around the tank sometimes. They biggest fish I have is an angel fish who tends to leave everyone alone. It's cool watching them interact with all the plants. Looks so natural

Back
Top Bottom