New shrimp dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A1A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I’m fairly new to fish-keeping, and brand new to shrimp keeping, and I’m experiencing some problems with my brand new cherry shrimp in a 2.5g planted bowl. Please read my post, and reply, as any advice would be helpful and I’m fairly lost for clues.

Just over a month ago, I acquired a new bowl, which I planted quite nicely with some dwarf hairgrass, Monte Carlo, and a Java fern. I let the tank cycle for around a month and then decided to get some shrimp.

A week ago today 15 lovely red cherry shrimp arrived to my door, all alive. I knew that they had had a rough journey, as shipping had been delayed, so they had been in transit for around 2 and a half days. As soon as they arrived, I floated the bag in my tank to get the temperature right, and slowly began to acclimate them with makeshift drip acclimation- I put a few drops of tank water in every minute or so with a pipette. Eventually I released them and they all seemed happy, feeding on the algae in the tank and grazing on the Java fern. I was delighted.

The shrimp all seemed happy and were grazing, but not too interested in the food I bought them, although they would take my other fish food out of my tweezers and eat it.

I did not see any dead shrimp in my tank for the first 6 days, but I could usually only count around 9 shrimp- I assumed this was because they were hiding. On the 6th night someone accidentally turned off the heater for around 2 hours, and the tank fell in temperature by around 1.5C, before I turned the heater back on. I did not see any dead shrimp, so went to bed soundly. Today I woke up in the morning to see a dead shrimp in my tank, to my horror. I tested the water and all parameters were ok- apart from Kh and Gh- both way too high(kh around 15 and Gh around 8) ! In the evening I found another dead shrimp nestled in the dwarf hairgrass. I was devastated.

I have not been adding anything to the tank so have 3 main theories about what might have happened:
1. The stress from the temp change the night before killed them
2. The initial stress killed them and I did not find them until later
3. The high hardness has caused some issue and killed them

I also worry that the water may lack oxygen, or that there are some toxins such as copper in the water, but I don’t see how this could happen?

I’m aware the tank is a little overstocked but that was the only amount I could find from this seller- and it was meant to only be 12 anyway…

It would be ok if the dying stopped there, but I’m worried that more could perish…

Any help would be amazing.

hello! I have had shrimp for almost a year and have been having AMAZING success with breeding them!
my best advice would be to splurge for a 3 gallon and put in a sponge filter with an air pump and air stone inside!
i have 'tested' many different things with them and in multiple "tanks" the ones without 'bubblers' or sponge filters did not thrive and some did not survive
.. so would reccommend getting a sponge filter or airstone at the least..
My 3 gallon does BEST for breeding. have live plants and a sponge filter..
BEST OF LUCK!!!

also. I always 'drip acclimate' new shrimp for at least 45 minutes before putting them into the tank.
I made a DIY one with half a 2 liter bottle and some airline tubing with an adjustable valve at the end. was super easy and cheap!!!
and GUPPY GRASS has been the best thing ive gotten for them!!
hope this helps!
keep trying and try not to be discouraged..
good luck!!

I’m also soon going to be setting up a new 8g shrimp tank and planning on getting crystal shrimp. I’m also gathering up advice from others and it sounds like the main issue would have been the kH being way too high. This guide says cherry shrimp need a kH to be 0-6 and yours was more than twice the maximum level. I’m actually thinking of using an Aquaclear hang on filter with some media from one of my other established freshwater tanks. I’m hoping that the output water flow would oxygenate the water and no air stone required. Can anyone comment on this? I’m also thinking of using ADA Amazonia ver 2 as my substrate as this was highly recommended to me to be very beneficial not only for plants but also on keeping ph and water hardness low. Does anyone else have any experience with this substrate?

Back
Top Bottom