New shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
Finally got it up, planted, decorated and cycling.

It's a 33 long, same foot print as a 55 just half the height.

It will have my cherry shrimp, some bamboo shrimp and some others I haven't decided on.

The 2.5 g tanks on either side will be for my bettas.

Attachments

• img_7513.jpg
    img_7513.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 209
  • img_7514.jpg
    img_7514.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 215
  • img_7517.jpg
    img_7517.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 262
  • img_7518.jpg
    img_7518.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 433
Now THAT is an awesome shrimp tank!(y) Puts mine to shame:facepalm:

I especially love that ... Manzanita DW? It looks great!

Here's my ... barely stacks up ... Petco Bookshelf RCS tank. It's just no contest:nono:.

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 214
Now THAT is an awesome shrimp tank!(y) Puts mine to shame:facepalm:

I especially love that ... Manzanita DW? It looks great!

Here's my ... barely stacks up ... Petco Bookshelf RCS tank. It's just no contest:nono:.

Yep it's manzanita. Only thing that works for the size of the tank. Not too thrilled, but it is working out ok.

I think your tank looks fine. :)

Yep it's manzanita. Only thing that works for the size of the tank. Not too thrilled, but it is working out ok.

Man I really need to start looking for Manzanita DW in my area, I think it with works great with your tank. All I find is Mopani and Malaysian.

I think your tank looks fine. :)

Thank you ...my RCS tank's coming along ... the manzanita-ish background helps, but your's is still the cats meow. Figure I'm looking to add some Petco black gravel/substrate and mix it with my PFS to darken the look. That should help the RCS darken their red color a bit more.

I never even knew that type of tank existed. Pretty neat.

Man I really need to start looking for Manzanita DW in my area, I think it with works great with your tank. All I find is Mopani and Malaysian.

Thank you ...my RCS tank's coming along ... the manzanita-ish background helps, but your's is still the cats meow. Figure I'm looking to add some Petco black gravel/substrate and mix it with my PFS to darken the look. That should help the RCS darken their red color a bit more.

If you haven't done it already, I think going with the darker natural large that petsmart has would look better mixed with the sand. It's pebble sized river rock. I have it in my 115g angelfish tank.

If you haven't done it already, I think going with the darker natural large that petsmart has would look better mixed with the sand. It's pebble sized river rock. I have it in my 115g angelfish tank.

I'll check it out ... In fact, that may be what i added in my 75... That was a year and. Half ago. I just finished a bit if rearranging, I ave 3 Anubias on the substrate, the DW I gave it more of an angle and moved two reddish granite stones up front. I like the look more. I'll try to do pics later. Oh I counted 5 shrimplets a bit ago, thought there was another, but wasn't sure. That plus two berried females and a couple saddled.:dance:

Looks great! I love the 30 longs great shrimp and Shellie tanks. I think manzanita is one of the best woods to aqua scape with. If you don't want to spend the money you can always going out and collect dead branches from hard wood trees. I just used alder branches to scape my African river black water tank.

Hey you!

The tank is doing great. Had to trim the heck out of some plants. Added a few burmese cherry loaches, and will soon be adding some clown killies and other shrimp.

Ugh, no new pictures. I've been a slacker getting pics of everything.

Hey you!

The tank is doing great. Had to trim the heck out of some plants. Added a few burmese cherry loaches, and will soon be adding some clown killies and other shrimp.

:lol:

Looked those BCL up and they are really cool looking! And Clown Killies are sooo cute! Catfish Charlies has them periodically.

Will the Cherry Loaches eat the shrimp babies? Or not too worried with lots of reproductive activity?

I added a Reticulated Hillstream Loach in my bigger community tank and it is doing great. Your Cherry Loaches just made me think of one or two of HSL might do well in my shrimp tank... what do you think?

When I had HSLs in my river tank, they did great with the shrimp. Never had a problem with them trying to munch any. They were pretty happy with pellets and algae wafers.

I got my BCL at Aqua Imports and they always have the clown killies so I'm not worried about them no being there when I'm ready. As for the BCL and the shrimp, they might eat a few babies, but since I'm culturing my own foods now, (micro worms, banana worms and vinegar eels) they get a good feeding twice a day. I've also got them where they're starting to eat the shrimp's food. They get the cutest little bellies.

When I had HSLs in my river tank, they did great with the shrimp. Never had a problem with them trying to munch any. They were pretty happy with pellets and algae wafers.

I got my BCL at Aqua Imports and they always have the clown killies so I'm not worried about them no being there when I'm ready. As for the BCL and the shrimp, they might eat a few babies, but since I'm culturing my own foods now, (micro worms, banana worms and vinegar eels) they get a good feeding twice a day. I've also got them where they're starting to eat the shrimp's food. They get the cutest little bellies.

Now that would be a cute pic. I bet the new live foods are really making the fish happy.

Just read about banana worms! Never had heard of them before! Makes me less interested in eating bananas now, LOL!

Hey you!

Hey DragonFish71 ... I'm still in awe at that 33long!!(y) Actually more in awe now that I got another look. It got me motivated to eventually get my 20 Long out of storage and ditch the Petco Bookshelf tank. Took me the a whole weekend to set it up and transfer each last shrimp. So many shrimplets to find and net ... it was nuts.:facepalm:

It's been a few months now, I did a large rearranging a few weeks back and lost a few RCS. Yep I stirred up all sorts of stuff off the substrate and did a PWC using the water changer I use on my 75gal. Guess it was all too much for some of them ... lesson learned.

I darkened the substrate with Petco Black Sand and added rocks from the Adirondack Region during Spring Break. There's one of my berried Tiger Shrimp with an RCS nearby.

Attachments

• IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 59
Jcolon,

Love the new set up! You did an awesome job.

You should have seen me catching all my RCS out of the 10 they were in, it was a madhouse.

Back
Top Bottom