New shrimp tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon1993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there i am going to set up a 60l iwugami style aqua scape for a shrimp tank and was wondering what type and size filter and heater and smallco2 system to use, I don't have a budget and will save how much I need for the setup, I already have the tank
Kind regards

Hey there i am going to set up a 60l iwugami style aqua scape for a shrimp tank and was wondering what type and size filter and heater and smallco2 system to use, I don't have a budget and will save how much I need for the setup, I already have the tank
Kind regards

I would not add shrimp to a tank with Co2. Co2 can cause drastic shifts in water parameters that can kill shrimp.

As far as filter and heater it depends on your budget. If you are going for Amano level IWAGUMI style then buy some ADA or Do!aqua glass intakes and return to attach to a small canister and add an inline heater.

Ok will research and find what I can get and thank you for that much appreciated
Kind regards

Co2 and shrimp are fine together as long as you maintain a safe level. It's fairly easy to overdo it and watch them keel over. That size tank would probably be better suited for one of the paintball type kits although I've not used one to give specifics.

Ahh we'll that's ok, what about the fluval 20 co2 kit and I would heavily plant it and start off with low doses

And what would be better for the filter, one does 125gph or the other that does 180gph, and my tank is 16g

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh we'll that's ok, what about the fluval 20 co2 kit and I would heavily plant it and start off with low doses

And what would be better for the filter, one does 125gph or the other that does 180gph, and my tank is 16g

I've not used the fluval kit personally, no matter which kind you use you'll need a drop checker to monitor how much co2 you are adding.

In a co2 injected tank you'd ideally want a filter that doesn't cause much water disturbance. You can get by with either one of those filters on a shrimp only tank, but generally speaking bigger is better.

I wouldn't use the Fluval kit. Get a paintball regulator with a solenoid so it can be turned off at night. I think Aquatek makes one. I have a co2 paintball system on my 20 gallon tank that has red cherry shrimp. You just use a drop checker with 4dKH solution and low range pH reagent to tell your co2 levels and you can keep the solenoid on the same timer as your lights.

Ok, I've never looked into the paint ball ones but what do you need to set them up
Kind fegards

The Aquatek ones on eBay (with solenoid) often have everything you need other than a paintball cylinder, lamp timer, and diffuser. Setting them up is actually easy and kinda fun.

Back
Top Bottom