New Shrimp Tank: Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slavo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

So this weekend I plan to setup a shrimp tank, this will be my 2nd attempt at a shrimp and I hope it will be more successful than the last. I have two tanks that I am debating setting up: (1) a rimless 2g cube or (2) a Fluval Spec (also 2g). I am leaning more towards the 2g rimless, but we'll see. Anyway, yesterday I picked up some goodies and received some others in the mail, in preparation of the setup (pics below). But before I proceed with the setup I have some questions:

(1) Can I use Osmocote+ DIY root tabs with shrimp?
(2) Is the mesh/screen (pictured below) suitable to grow moss on?
(3) For setup I plan to use: Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement & Shrimp Safe; GlasGarten Bacter AE & Betaglucan, is that sufficient?
(4) How long should I wait for the tank to be established before adding shrimp?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image_5.jpeg
    image_5.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 77
Hey guys!

So this weekend I plan to setup a shrimp tank, this will be my 2nd attempt at a shrimp and I hope it will be more successful than the last. I have two tanks that I am debating setting up: (1) a rimless 2g cube or (2) a Fluval Spec (also 2g). I am leaning more towards the 2g rimless, but we'll see. Anyway, yesterday I picked up some goodies and received some others in the mail, in preparation of the setup (pics below). But before I proceed with the setup I have some questions:

(1) Can I use Osmocote+ DIY root tabs with shrimp?
(2) Is the mesh/screen (pictured below) suitable to grow moss on?
(3) For setup I plan to use: Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement & Shrimp Safe; GlasGarten Bacter AE & Betaglucan, is that sufficient?
(4) How long should I wait for the tank to be established before adding shrimp?

Thanks for the help!

What type of shrimp are you planning to keep?

I've used commercial root tabs as well as osmocote tabs in my shrimp tanks with no problems.

Can't really tell about the mesh. The only mesh I have in my tank is stainless steel.

Have never used any shrimp supplements :whistle:

Will you have a filter in the tank? I use sponge filters and when setting up the new tanks had them running in established tanks so I didn't wait very long before adding shrimp.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to try and get some shrimp from at least 2 different sources.

What type of shrimp are you planning to keep?

I've used commercial root tabs as well as osmocote tabs in my shrimp tanks with no problems.

Can't really tell about the mesh. The only mesh I have in my tank is stainless steel.

Have never used any shrimp supplements :whistle:

Will you have a filter in the tank? I use sponge filters and when setting up the new tanks had them running in established tanks so I didn't wait very long before adding shrimp.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to try and get some shrimp from at least 2 different sources.

I was thinking Sakura Orange, Sakura Red or CRS shrimp.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Like Theresa mentioned if you had bad luck before I would avoid the CRS. I would definitely look at red cherry as they are cheaper and then if they go well expand to a different color morph or add CRS later.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like Theresa mentioned if you had bad luck before I would avoid the CRS. I would definitely look at red cherry as they are cheaper and then if they go well expand to a different color morph or add CRS later.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good point, I was hoping to run one tank for a while with RCS or something and see how it went, then maybe add CRS to the other tank if the RCS tank was doing well.

Q: How long should I let the tanks cycle? I just set them both up on Saturday.

Maybe start with the neos then move on to CRS?

After some thought, I've decided to start with RCS. Then, hopefully, move to CRS. I don't have the means to order the shrimp now, but that's ok, because I need to let the tanks cycle anyway.

After some thought, I've decided to start with RCS. Then, hopefully, move to CRS. I don't have the means to order the shrimp now, but that's ok, because I need to let the tanks cycle anyway.

Probably a good idea. I haven't been adventurous enough to move beyond neos, fortunately they are available in lots of colors!

Shrimp Tanks FTS

Here are the tanks as of this morning. (I'll be starting a thread for these tanks to share their progress)

Attachments

• 2.1g Nano Cube FTS.jpeg
    2.1g Nano Cube FTS.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 51
  • Fluval Spec FTS.jpeg
    Fluval Spec FTS.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 59
  • Shrimp Tanks FTS.jpeg
    Shrimp Tanks FTS.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom