New to cherry shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys this is my first time keeping cherry shrimps and i would like to get it right.
I was wondering what i could do to make them grow faster to get them to breeding age and also if there is anything i need to do to encourage them to breed? Currently my tank temp is 25C and i plan on feeding them flake food and Spirulina Algae Wafers.

Also how can you tell which shrimp has moulted? Do they look any different to the other shrimps?

Hi guys this is my first time keeping cherry shrimps and i would like to get it right.

I was wondering what i could do to make them grow faster to get them to breeding age and also if there is anything i need to do to encourage them to breed? Currently my tank temp is 25C and i plan on feeding them flake food and Spirulina Algae Wafers.

Also how can you tell which shrimp has moulted? Do they look any different to the other shrimps?

There's not anything that "makes" them grow faster. And I know of nothing that will make anyone or anything "age" except time and patience. The best advice is to keep up on WC's and keeping parameters in check. Also, RCS will do best in a mature tank as opposed to a new tank. It's just how it is.

A molted shrimp will have no exoskeleton. During that time, you may not see them as they often hide while the new one grows. Temp sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

There's not anything that "makes" them grow faster. And I know of nothing that will make anyone or anything "age" except time and patience. The best advice is to keep up on WC's and keeping parameters in check. Also, RCS will do best in a mature tank as opposed to a new tank. It's just how it is.

A molted shrimp will have no exoskeleton. During that time, you may not see them as they often hide while the new one grows. Temp sounds good to me.

Oh ok thanks for that and yeh it's in a tank that's has been running for a while now.

Meaning will the shrimp look clear? Because i have seen one or two exoskeleton lying around but I don't know which shrimp it came from...

Also yesterday i put I'm a piece of flake for them and left it there for a while and they didn't seem to touch it or notice that it was there... What do I do?
Do you think I should try feeding them again today?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Early on it was hit or miss (mostly miss) with RCS. Of the 15 I purchased at separate intervals from an LFS, only 5 survived. Most deaths occurred after molting. I then obtained a group of shrimp from another member and those prospered.
As pointed out, newly molted shrimp will hide. They are colorful and not clear. Only exoskeletons should be clear.
Here is a link with great info on RCS: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Early on it was hit or miss (mostly miss) with RCS. Of the 15 I purchased at separate intervals from an LFS, only 5 survived. Most deaths occurred after molting. I then obtained a group of shrimp from another member and those prospered.
As pointed out, newly molted shrimp will hide. They are colorful and not clear. Only exoskeletons should be clear.
Here is a link with great info on RCS: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Thanks for the link but when i clicked on it didnt work? maybe the link is wrong...
Ahh im sorry to hear that :/
Are you still keeping shrimps?

Ok thanks
Also what shall i do about food? i tried to feed them a piece of flake yesterday but they didnt seem to touch it?
Is it because the prefer algae wafers instead

Sorry, bad link. Try this one:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html
RCS are not picky about what they eat. Not sure why those are not eating. Do they have sufficient cover/hiding spaces? Mine usually hide a good part of the time. Occasionally I see them swimming around. Activity picks up at feeding time.
Here is a FTS of my shrimp tank. Shrimp and snails are feeding on a wafer at the front of the tank:
HTVhJhW.png

Here is a close up of them eating zucchini:
tWKNPtv.png

Mine will eat anything I put in the tank: wafers, flake, bloodworms (both freeze dried and frozen), tubifex, daphnia. I just bought Shrimp Cuisine and that's they love that too!

Fresh-do you prep the food any special way ?

For the zucchini I sliced it, spread it out on a plate, microwaved it, then threw it in the freezer. I then pull out a slice, microwave it for a few seconds then into the tank.

Sorry, bad link. Try this one:
Red Cherry Shrimp .:. Neocaridina heteropoda sp. "Red Cherry" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page
RCS are not picky about what they eat. Not sure why those are not eating. Do they have sufficient cover/hiding spaces? Mine usually hide a good part of the time. Occasionally I see them swimming around. Activity picks up at feeding time.
Here is a FTS of my shrimp tank. Shrimp and snails are feeding on a wafer at the front of the tank:
HTVhJhW.png

Here is a close up of them eating zucchini:
tWKNPtv.png

Thanks ill look over it now
I dont know either is it because they are adjusting to my tank? I only got them 2 days ago. Yeah there is some of them are under a slate of rock but most of them are on my sponge filter. And mine are active i have seen them swimming around and jumping from plant to plant...

Do you think i should feed them today?
Also how long do you think i should leave a piece of flake in the tank for?
Would leaving if over night be good?

You could leave a flake over night and see what happens.
If the shrimp are hanging out on the sponge filter, most likely they are grazing on the biofilm.
I fed mine Shrimp Cuisine but noticed they are not crazy about it. They do like the Hikari algae wafers.

For the zucchini I sliced it, spread it out on a plate, microwaved it, then threw it in the freezer. I then pull out a slice, microwave it for a few seconds then into the tank.

Thanks for the reply Fresh !!! I'm gonna have to try that. Op, my apologies for jumping on your thread with my questions. If it helps you, I have some sinking pellets (Tetra Bits I think) that I drop in and they eventually find there way to them.

They could be still adjusting or they could be like people, fish, etc and like certain things. I would try one type of food for a day or two and if it's completely rejected move on to something else.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Fresh !!! I'm gonna have to try that. Op, my apologies for jumping on your thread with my questions. If it helps you, I have some sinking pellets (Tetra Bits I think) that I drop in and they eventually find there way to them.

No problem! It's not my thread :)
I also use NLS wafers and a few other sinking foods another AA member sent me.

As far as food, I like to give them kale occasionally. It's high in calcium and relatively inexpensive. I was having a lot of problems with missing molts and dead shrimp. Started with kale and haven't lost one since. I put a piece in the microwave for 3-5 minutes and then sink it. The otocats love it too.

No worries it fine :) I currently don't have sinking pellets but i do have granule food which is meant to be fed to fish will that work?

They could be still adjusting or they could be like people, fish, etc and like certain things. I would try one type of food for a day or two and if it's completely rejected move on to something else.

Good luck!

Yeah maybe I think they are full feeding on the things growing in the fish tank and maybe that why they aren't eating...but I did leave a piece of flake in the tank and it was gone in the morning so I don't know :s
When I do feed them how long should I leave the food in the tank for?

Also one more question I have Molly fry in the tank with the shrimps but they are in a breeding net as I am scared that they will eat the shrimps and esp the smaller baby shrimps....I was wonder if I can keep them together? I just don't want them eating the shrimps.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420655175.701737.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420655184.939311.jpg

That's how big they are

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fish fry won't eat shrimp until they are much bigger. Basically if a baby shrimp can fit into another fish's mouth, then take out the fry. Your shrimp won't eat processed fish food if there's enough algae and biofilm to feed on. Don't leave the food in there for more than 1 hour it will just pollute the tank. It's impossible to starve shrimp as long as it's a mature tank with lots of plants you only need to feed them 2x a week.

Baby fish (fry) will eat whatever fits in their mouth. Esp Mollies...greedy little piggies that they are.

Newly hatched Shrimplets are eagerly eaten by any fish that can.

Adult Shrimp are safe from some Nano fish. But some fish will attack them even if they don't fit in their mouth.

Fish fry won't eat shrimp until they are much bigger. Basically if a baby shrimp can fit into another fish's mouth, then take out the fry. Your shrimp won't eat processed fish food if there's enough algae and biofilm to feed on. Don't leave the food in there for more than 1 hour it will just pollute the tank. It's impossible to starve shrimp as long as it's a mature tank with lots of plants you only need to feed them 2x a week.

Oh ok well im guessing my shrimps will be eaten if i let my molly fry loose in the tank...they are pretty big compared to the shrimps and also i have little shrimplets running around and im sure they will be gone if i did :/

Ok thanks for that...but then how can i tell when i should feed them and if there is enough algae and biofilm in the tank for them? it defo is a mature tank it has been running for a while now
The only time i have fed since i got them is 2 days ago

Baby fish (fry) will eat whatever fits in their mouth. Esp Mollies...greedy little piggies that they are.

Newly hatched Shrimplets are eagerly eaten by any fish that can.

Adult Shrimp are safe from some Nano fish. But some fish will attack them even if they don't fit in their mouth.

Ok thanks for the advice i think im just going to leave them in the breeding net for now until they get a bit bigger to go into my other tank.

also i want to get some shrimps that will grow quite big and that are easy to breed also so which shrimps would you guys suggest?

Like currently i have cherry shrimps and they dont grow that big maybe 2cm max am i right?

Back
Top Bottom