New to crayfish. Advice needed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all I just picked up some crayfish to breed and use as food as well as keep. What I need to know is what do u feed them? Heater filter bubbler? Ones holding eggs now and not sure what to expect. This is a big first for me. What do I do with them!!?? Help pleaseImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391107407.809738.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391107442.008461.jpg

Thank you!!

Cheryl

what do u feed them?

The best thing for them is high calcium veggies. You can also use algae wafers or even regular fish flakes.

Heater filter bubbler?

It varies by species, but a heater is generally not necessary. A heater just makes them grow faster and makes them somewhat more active. In cooler water, they don't move around as much, but either way they're fine.

A filter needs to be rated well for whatever size tank you have, just like with any other fish. The rule of thumb for crayfish is 1 per 10 gallons, unless you have dwarf crayfish (which from the pictures seems you might). But that rule is mainly for territorial/aggression purposes in larger crayfish. On that note, be aware crayfish are aggressive to fish and to one another... again unless you have dwarf crayfish.

Any good HOB filter will do the trick, but avoid undergravel filters as the crayfish might dig them up.

A bubbler is an absolute must for crayfish (or pretty much any livestock in an aquarium, imo).

Ones holding eggs now and not sure what to expect. This is a big first for me. What do I do with them!!??

The mother crayfish should have a nice place to hide while holding her eggs. It looks like you have some good rock caves in your tank, so make sure she's comfortable in her own cave. They won't typically eat while berried (holding eggs) either, so don't worry.

When they hatch, there may be some cannibalism, but if you want to save the babies, either provide a ton of hiding places for them in that tank or get another grow-out tank with adequate hiding spaces. And keep them well-fed.

U don't need a heater I'll send u a pic of my huge cray fish if u would like

The best thing for them is high calcium veggies. You can also use algae wafers or even regular fish flakes.

It varies by species, but a heater is generally not necessary. A heater just makes them grow faster and makes them somewhat more active. In cooler water, they don't move around as much, but either way they're fine.

A filter needs to be rated well for whatever size tank you have, just like with any other fish. The rule of thumb for crayfish is 1 per 10 gallons, unless you have dwarf crayfish (which from the pictures seems you might). But that rule is mainly for territorial/aggression purposes in larger crayfish. On that note, be aware crayfish are aggressive to fish and to one another... again unless you have dwarf crayfish.

Any good HOB filter will do the trick, but avoid undergravel filters as the crayfish might dig them up.

A bubbler is an absolute must for crayfish (or pretty much any livestock in an aquarium, imo).

The mother crayfish should have a nice place to hide while holding her eggs. It looks like you have some good rock caves in your tank, so make sure she's comfortable in her own cave. They won't typically eat while berried (holding eggs) either, so don't worry.

When they hatch, there may be some cannibalism, but if you want to save the babies, either provide a ton of hiding places for them in that tank or get another grow-out tank with adequate hiding spaces. And keep them well-fed.

Thank you very much for such detailed information. I want them to continue breeding I will go get a lot more things to us as hiding places. I hope the momma is ok I borough her home covered with eggs and tail curled to hold them and she hasn't dropped any so I think they might make it. I guess I'll have to get another tank for the babies. I'm hoping I can just get enough space to hide in and the babies will survive ! Thank you! Any idea what kind I have??

I was told I can go filter less and just let them go... They need the oxygen tho huh? Filter ok?

How does Molting work? When do I know? what do you do? Sorry this is new as a pet. I keep piranhas and cichlids and mollies. Never this before. Thanks kindly in advance!!

When I first got mine he molted right away and I didn't know so I thought he was dead lol but that grass is called "betta grass" don't get live plant they will dig it up in a heart beat. And u will always have to replace it.

Any idea what kind I have??

From those pictures it's hard to tell. Maybe Cambarellus shufeldtii... but to ID crayfish, you need to get good pictures of the top and the bottom like this and like this.

I was told I can go filter less and just let them go... They need the oxygen tho huh? Filter ok?

Who told you that? That is not true at all. Crayfish absolutely need a filter as they produce a ton of waste. Unless you want to do very very frequent water changes, then you definitely need a filter. They also absolutely require the oxygen bubbler as well. I can't stress enough how important that is.

How does Molting work? When do I know? what do you do?

Molting is the crayfish shedding its old exoskeleton shell in order to regrow a larger shell for themselves. It occurs very frequently (weekly) when they are young and becomes more infrequent (monthly... then every couple of months...) as they age. Older crayfish molt less frequently (it's that way for most crustaceans).

There are subtle ways, both physical and behavioral, to know when they're going to molt soon. Behaviorally, they seem to have less of an appetite, they might dig a hole into the substrate, and they are less active. Physically, you might see a tiny white calcium buildup on their cheeks and you might see a tiny opening on their back as their shell is being pushed off. It's kinda tough to notice unless you've seen it before.

The only thing you need to do is just let the crayfish do its thing and make sure the water has adequate calcium coupled with a good high-calcium diet. This could mean using crushed coral or oyster shells as substrate, supplementing with liquid calcium purchasable from most LFS, etc. After they molt, leave their old shell in the tank as they will eat it to regain some calcium for their new shell.

It's really difficult to tell. The best way would be to take one out of the tank, put it on a flat surface, and take the photos that way..

Back
Top Bottom