New Zealand Mud Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skgould

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I think in researching that I have an outbreak of mud snails. I’ve had my planted tank ~ 10 years and in the past year only added a few mystery snails from eBay. The first time I saw a couple, I thought I must have missed a sack of mystery eggs, then because of the pointy shell I thought Malaysian trumpet, but now there are hundreds (They are breeding) and not one is larger than a few mm.

What do I do? I have many shrimp and a few pet snails. I really hope it’s not too late. I can’t believe it hitch hiked with a mystery snail order. I’ve usually been so careful and never had this happen before.

Attachments

• CA55613B-F139-4C36-B123-E109A3398FCB.jpg
    CA55613B-F139-4C36-B123-E109A3398FCB.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 21
Do you vac the substrate very often? Maybe get to some regular vac'ing to help remove the gunk /mulm they enjoy. Then start manually removing any you see. I just moved a tank which had so many MTS. Which at first picked them out after draining the water.

There was sand in 2/3rds of the tank and a divided area of round shrimp/plant substrate, which got mixed together so I needed to separate it and used a strainer which helped remove even more, MTS. Most were removed but I still saw some snail trails in the sand today! If I see them I will pluck them out!

Feed less food you can probably cut the food amount in half if they are breeding so plentifully.

Then the take out a plant and remove all egg sacs. Then a rock, etc. Hopefully that will put a serious dent in the numbers. Then every week or 2 go hunting for any additional pests.

I went for the nuclear option. Removed my mystery and rabbit snails and used no planaria for 3 days. Yesterday, I did a water change on day 3 because I was getting really anxious over the effect to my shrimp when I lost a bamboo shrimp. I did a 30% water change and put carbon in the filter. I thought all the mud snails died but I see three today (I squished). My ramshorns survived the treatment, but they don't bother me. I've had them for years and they have never caused any trouble.

I can't pull out plants or really vacuum the substrate anymore. My plant growth is too thick. I pull up on a plant and the whole gravel starts to come up in one giant aquarium chunk.

I'm really bummed about this whole thing. I know you can retreat in 2 weeks, but I really don't want to do that to my tank again.

Back
Top Bottom