Oh, mystery snail, such a mystery...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just finished my weekly water change on my main tank. After getting everything cleaned up i noticed a shell on the floor behind the tank. I thought it was one of my seashell decorations, but no, it was my mystery snail!! :eek:

So i scoop it up with my fish net and it kind of pulled like it was stuck to the floor. I put the net up to my nose, b/c i've heard they are really smelly when they are dead. I didn't smell anything, but it was a net length away. So i just put it back in the tank. It hasn't moved and look very dark brown and dry.

Do you think my snail with survive? :blink: It could have been there a week! I have no way of knowing how long he's been out of the tank. I'll attach some pics of him from my phone in a reply.

:thanks:

Time will tell.
When they are unhealthy, their body will sort of contract up into their shell. If you can push on the foot and feel it's firm and practically overflowing from shell, he is good.

EDIT: Nope. He doesn't look good. He may be dead. Watch him in the tank and see if he moves any or start to smell, but I don't think he will make it. Sorry. :(

Keep monitoring him, but yeah absolute is probably right :/

Well, shortly after i wrote the first post, i went over to check on him and he had popped out of his shell a little and i scared him (i guess) and he sucked back up inside his shell. So, i have high hopes at this point. My guppy was trying to eat him though!

Hopefully he pulls through. Him being all sunken up in his shell is not a good sign, but you never know. Theres not really anything else you can do for him at this point except make sure to keep the water really clean and hope for the best. If your guppy is being too big of a pill, you may have take the snail out and put it in a hospital tank of some sort.

I'm surprised your snail's shell isn't cracked. I had one about the same size as that one fall out of my tank and hit the wall and landed on carpet and his shell was shattered. He didn't make it though. Live three days, he was only out of the tank from the middle of the night till morning. Just keep doing like everyone else is saying though. Watch him and only time will tell if it'll pull through.

Back
Top Bottom