OMG!! Shrimp!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just found this when I dumped the water from a water change in my 10g tank! I happened to dump the water in the sink instead of outside & I saw something move. I've NEVER added any shrimp to any of my tanks so I'm guessing they hitched in on plants months ago. I looked at the tank I saw 3 or 4 scurrying around. I guess I need to quit vacing the gravel.

Is it a shrimp? Too tiny to tell what kind?

Attachments

• image-1154073635.jpg
    image-1154073635.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 149
  • image-703030110.jpg
    image-703030110.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 149
Looks like daphnia to my eye. Big ones, but I've seen big ones that size before.

This is to the OP. Why it decided to post under yours, I dunno.

Hmmm. Never thought of daphnia. The only ones of those I've seen are the itty bitty frozen ones. I'll have to do some googling. :)

Google Gammarus Shrimp or Amphipod and I think you will get a match. Not usually present in tanks with fish unless there is sufficient plants/hiding spots. Sometimes found in shrimp only tanks. I think the only knock against them is that they can eat moss (if that is a problem).

Oh, if you ever go to the beach, in the wet sand you will often find a SW variety of what you have in your tank.

Google Gammarus Shrimp or Amphipod and I think you will get a match. Not usually present in tanks with fish unless there is sufficient plants/hiding spots. Sometimes found in shrimp only tanks. I think the only knock against them is that they can eat moss (if that is a problem).

That does look like it. Very interesting. I'm not finding any info on anything bad about them doI guess I'll be leaving them alone . . . . for now. Thanks for the tip!

I found the moss reference on an invert/shrimp forum. Some find them a nuisance in a no fish tank because their numbers can get out of hand.

They make great fish snacks (if they can be caught).

Looks like an ostracod, known as seed shrimp. I have them too but they're harmless

I have seed shrimp and other assorted "pests" in my shrimp only tank. They are harmless. I take a brine shrimp net and scoop them out when they get unsightly. They make a great snack for my other fish. I swear they know what it is when they see that net coming.

My angelfish. Lol didn't really clarify that one. They see the shrimp net and start circling the top of the tank like sharks.

Thanks everyone!! I was just so surprised to find this little creature at all. I have seen them in both of my 10g tanks & neither tank has or ever has had shrimp. I'll just keep an eye out to make sure they don't over populate. (y)

Back
Top Bottom