Oops...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got this blue snail and he was a decent size - probably about two inches around.
Anyways today I came home from work to find him stuck to the filter intake tube with about half of his...body(?) being sucked in while the other half desperately held on. (His little antenna was waving in the current)
So since this incident (about 4 hours ago) I haven't seen him move at all. Is there a good chance he is dead or is he just having problems coping with his newfound knowledge of just how delicate life really is?
I turned on the bubble bar for my fish a little after and we decided maybe we shouldn't use it for a little while as it might give him flashbacks.
Any advice on how to prevent this from ever happening again?

You could put a sponge around the intake tube look at your lfs for a sponge should slip right over the intake

He might not be dead. Mine occasionally just lays there. Weird! I would give it a day or two.

If he is dead will he fall out of his shell or will he just stay inside? Only slight movement since last nite...could be just from current.

When you pick him up does he retract? Mine occasionally scare the poo out of me when they stop moving. Dead snails smell foul.... extremely foul. Take a sniff.

Definitely don't give up on the little guy! I had a snail that was attacked my my crawfish. It acted dead for weeks! Then all of a sudden he was up and running like nothing had ever happened!

I know. This was a life-changing trauma that is probably burned into his little tiny snail brain....that is, if his brain didn't get filtered...

The snail is alive! But he has this bulbous white thing hanging on him. Boyfriend said he thought it was the snail's antenna. Anyways I will keep an eye on it and hope for the best. Oh also he isn't traveling through the tank - he is just staying up top in one spot. Must have needed air?

The snail is alive! But he has this bulbous white thing hanging on him. Boyfriend said he thought it was the snail's antenna. Anyways I will keep an eye on it and hope for the best. Oh also he isn't traveling through the tank - he is just staying up top in one spot. Must have needed air?

Good news! He is probably just doing snail things. Lol.

Eh.... He did it again. So the waiting begins once more. Gonna go look for the sponge cover thing after work today :( Poor little snail!

Back
Top Bottom