Orange Bee Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the LFS on a mission to buy some RCS, but they were out. They suggested i get some of the Orange Bee Shrimp. So i got 4. They are going in my 10g that also house 5 platy fry.

Anyone have experience keeping these guys? They don't seem to exciting right now. :whistle:

I also purchased 20 ghost shrimp--10 for each of my community tanks. This is my first dabble in shrimp. Anything i should know beyond the basics? Any fish that the ghost's can't be with? :thanks:

Ghost shrimp are kind of awful unless they're your only bottom feeder. They can be aggressive to shrimp, most fish will try to eat them (that's most other shrimp too) they can't reproduce in FW and they'll occasionally try to attack sick fish.

A great feeder though.

As per your bee shrimp, probably not a great beginner choice lol.

From Planet Invert, I couldn't say it any better:

Orange Bee Shrimp prefers soft acidic water. Clean water is also a must as with all shrimp in the hobby. The Orange Bee Shrimp may not be as vulnerable when housed in dirty water compared to its cousin the Crystal Red Shrimp but water quality is still very important. Water changes are a must for this species. Temperature should be lower than 80F and the pH should range from 6.2 to 6.8, gH should be between 4-6 and kH should be between 1-2. It is very important that the Orange Bee Shrimp be housed in specific conditions. Extremes in either water parameters mentioned should be avoided.

They are my only bottom feeder, but i'm already feeling like they might have been a mistake. I have a lot of preggo fish in my community tanks & i'm worried the ghost shrimp will eat them up before i can get to them. :?

The orange bee's are in clean water (imo), but my ph is usually around 7.2. Don't even have anything to measure the gH or kH. Geesh, i hope they make it.

"Orange Bee shrimp" are usually neocaridina propinqua, but a couple other species get the same trade name attached occasionally. I've found them to be much closer to RCS than CRS as far as hardiness and tolerances. Stability is the most important factor once tanked.

"Orange Bee shrimp" are usually neocaridina propinqua, but a couple other species get the same trade name attached occasionally. I've found them to be much closer to RCS than CRS as far as hardiness and tolerances. Stability is the most important factor once tanked.

Wow, RCS or CRS. They sound so similar! I'm still learning about shrimp. So my shrimp will be ok as long as i keep the water clean and stable? How often should i do a PWC (it's a 10g)? :fish2:

Wow, RCS or CRS. They sound so similar! I'm still learning about shrimp. So my shrimp will be ok as long as i keep the water clean and stable? How often should i do a PWC (it's a 10g)? :fish2:

Sorry about that...

RCS are "Red Cherry Shrimp" = Neocaridina heteropoda and are easy to keep and breed readily. Great beginner shrimp.

CRS are "Crystal Red Shrimp" = a variant of Caridina cantonensis (Bee, tiger, and other variants also) are a bit less forgiving and generally prefer slightly higher kH. Not the best shrimp to start with unless a bit more preparation is done.

With just 5 fry and 4 shrimp in the tank, you should be fine with a 30-50% weekly PWC. Be careful to temp match closely and age the water if possible.

Ghost shrimp are kind of awful unless they're your only bottom feeder. They can be aggressive to shrimp, most fish will try to eat them (that's most other shrimp too) they can't reproduce in FW and they'll occasionally try to attack sick fish.

Why can't they reproduce in FW? They are a lower order of reproduction, but still can and do reproduce in FW.

No they can't. They're brackish water reproducers.

While there are a few species which can reproduce in FW, out of the many 'glass' species sold, most sold in LFS's cannot reproduce in FW.

No they can't. They're brackish water reproducers.

While there are a few species which can reproduce in FW, out of the many 'glass' species sold, most sold in LFS's cannot reproduce in FW.

So, depending on the species, they will and can reproduce in FW.

And to further my statement, there are hundreds of websites and threads about people breeding thier ghost shrimps in FW,

Let me google that for you

I'm listing my own experience.

I've never once purchased a ghost shrimp that will reproduce in FW. When I increased salinity, I actually got babies.

No need to google anything!

I'm glad you've found something different, and I'd honestly like to give them a try.

"Ghost shrimp" are a great example of why common names suck. There are a dozen or so species sold under that name and they vary from needing brackish to survive, needing brackish for larval stage, to fully FW reproducible.

Let's try to get back and stay on the original topic though.

HN1 said:
Let's try to get back and stay on the original topic though.

Thanks, HN1. OP let us know if you need anything else.

Back
Top Bottom