Orange Dwarf Cray acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximonte209

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my orange dwarf cray for about 3 months now and a cpl weeks ago started acting weird. He has started sporadically jumping backwards like every 5-20 seconds, almost like a hiccup. I have tested my water and all looks good, I do weekly water exchanges as well so water conditions should not be an issue. Is in a ten gallon with 3 Tiger endlers. Running a sponge filter and hob aqueon 10. Was wondering if anyone has seen this behavior before or if it could be nerves or if I should even worry... He still eats, mobs around the tank, but seems like he's always taking 5 steps forward and 1 jump back.. Any input would be appreciated.

I couldn't think of anything. The crayfish I had would occasionally do that but just every so often. Very long time ago though.

That is certainly odd and can't say I've heard of it before. If he is eating fine though I wouldn't worry much about it

Caleb

I have just been keeping an eye on him but is still doing it. Is still eating fine but I feel sorry for him, lol. Can't even just sit still for a minute, will be sitting there then suddenly jump backwards then climb back to where he was.

I guess when you say water is good that would be very low nitrates and neutral'ish ph? Not really sure actually what ph they like. Could it be anything in the water irritating him? Or maybe seeing his reflection lol?

Yes Nitrates don't even register, ph 7.5ish . He could just be trippin' it seems like if I leave the light off he does it less, am going to look into putting in some surface cover to provide more "Shade" and less glare from the lights and see if that helps.

My CPO did this for a while before he died. The night he died he was on his back flicking his tail, and he kept doing that and by morning he was dead. I don't know what the deal is with yours though lol, but I am guessing that if water is good and he is still eating he should be fine. These guys are sensitive to water and due to breeding with messed up genetics in huge fish farms in Asia results in these guys not having a long life span. Kind of like German Blue Rams. Do you know how old this guy is?

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know how old he is, he is full grown. Although today I haven't noticed him doing it all so hopefully he will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom