Golden Bee Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Since I should be staying around home for a little bit. Just ordered these guys / should be similar in appearance to these.
60074-albums14809-picture72479.jpg

40 of them for $100. delivered overnight. Being shipped on the 30th! :dance:

Last edited:
We never see these around in a lfs. And not for sale online.

Maybe I possibly saw them one time, they were called Sunrise or Sunset Shrimp I believe and were $14.99 each. The guy didn't know for sure what they were and said they had just ended up getting them in, didn't know if Neo or Caridina, or anything else... But they look pretty much the same.

Red Bolts come from these at times. And maybe some other things in the future...

I think they will show up nicely in the tank, so I can SEE them when I look from a little way away. Won't have to fuss over them too much and only cull once in awhile.

Hoping they are the easy care shrimp I have heard they are!

Yes, I agree, very pretty. The information was they weren't quite as orange as in they looked in the pic, a little more white

Their body inside the shell has the orange tint and their shell is supposed to be "white". We shall see!

Joe's Aqua, been great in communications so far! for these Golden Bees. And Next Generation Shrimp is on facebook (I'm not on FB) bought in auction from Aquabid for the PRL's. On IG JoesAqua Joe Chang. (there are several people with similar names on that one. Joe's Aquarium - Quality Shrimp jtibeedotcom)

And I will report back on all the transactions.

Working on the plan of where they will go..... [hands on ears] - blablablablablabla TMaier, lol

Hope that got at least a chuckle...

Thinking of the following switcheroo...

Thai Betta to Wineglass with a few of the Pygmy Cories added in (there are already about 4 in there). Moving the 7 Neons to the 72G as they were there temporarily.) Leaving the 3 male Endlers - maybe adding the other 3 he is presently living with also to the wine glass.

PRL to the 6G cube leaving some Pygmy Cories.

And Golden Bees split in 2 groups in the 12G Edge

And the rest - depending on how big they are and what color they really are, in the 72G maybe. I think they would look great against the black background and show up nicely.

And there would only be Neons and male Guppies / Endlers and Cories, small fish for the 72G.

The issue is the giant intake from the FX-5, It also has a AC 110 and that is no problem adding a pre filter sponge.

It might be possible all 40 could go to the 72G if I figure out the intake.

One option for the intake on the FX-5 is a SS mesh cover. Worried it would bog down the flow since that is literally a big sucker.

The other is a cozy cover made from a large filter insert / stapled or stitched on. Buy an additional intake piece to have one to remove and a clean one to add right back on.

That is the thinking so far!

Just emptied the fish (shrimp) fund!

Ordered so much stuff though from Jungle Aqua Shrimp aka JungleFowl here.

2 Stainless steel pre-filters for shrimp/ fish fry. For the FX-5 and maybe in the other FX-5. Or for the AC 110.

Catappa leaves 10 leaves
Jackfruit leaves 50
Black Guava leaves 50 leaves
2 Cholla Wood chunks

GlasGarten Mineral Junkie Pearls 100g

Astaxanthin Stick on Glass Aquarium Fish Shrimp Food Tablets Minerals 120g (about 240 tablets)

2 Bucephalandras mystery variety, surprise plants - I asked for a surprise option

Yipee, restocked for the next year! (kinda, but not likely the whole year, lol)

I have wanted to order most of these things forever, like the SS prefilters and Mineral Junkie Pearls, specifically Astaxanthin food. Foods with that in there seem make the shrimp and fish have vibrant colors.

Pampered shrimp and fish!

On the filter, have you considered a SPONGE filter end? I've used these for years over shrimp worries. Now I do have nano tanks, so it may not work but its worth a try! Or you could get a coarse sponge and silicone it together? Just make the hole tighter than the actual intake and it should stay in place.

On the filter, have you considered a SPONGE filter end? I've used these for years over shrimp worries. Now I do have nano tanks, so it may not work but its worth a try! Or you could get a coarse sponge and silicone it together? Just make the hole tighter than the actual intake and it should stay in place.

Thank you, yes, indeed, have been using the Fluval Edge prefilter sponges for a long time now, with the smaller sizes like up to Aquaclear 50. And retrofitted a sponge filter one time.

The FX-5 (canister) and the AC 110 (HOB) filter are moving appx 400-450G p/h
(rated higher like 500 g p/h) but not brand new anymore, from an appx. intake 1 inch / 26mm tube and high suction, so I was worried especially that the sponge would collapse after a little bit of gunk getting stuck in there.

I use sponge on an ac 70 which is what 400gph?

I’ve even let it get visibly clogged before when being lazy and flow was still more than sufficient. One time I forgot to take it off before a vacation and came back two weeks later. Water was definitely slower but still flowing.

Just looked at my empty box from my recent AC70 purchase and the box says 300G p/h!

But from what I was told that is with brand new media or none when measuring gallons per hour. So it will always be notably less than what the box says. Based on getting mucked up over time especially.

I usually only clean the HOBs about 1x per month or if it is getting slow! Or if there are numerous daily feedings with my Guppy /Endler fry. Based upon circumstances or if needed, lol!

Oops - mixed that up - the Fluval FX-5 is 925 gallons per hour! Wow!

Edit: that high number is with NO MEDIA per the information provided from Fluval!

So maybe more like 500-600G p/h. I'm just guessing. Definitely not the scientist or mathematician to give a real number.

Last edited:
Yeah, the GPH ratings are with no media at ground level. With the booklet they actually have the tested with media and tubing... at least they used to for fluval. Cut that number in about half and thats your actual flowrate!

Golden Bee Shrimp arrived. 44 shrimp :)

These, to me are like the pic in the first post. They seem to be somewhat culls. There are a nice amount of them say half probably which are the nice white to golden orange.

I think that opaque white is the top color highest grade solid shell.

The orangey ones are not high quality, but were the ones I wanted for the fun part of just looking at them. Actually what I wanted with the peachy sunset orange color. I am happy to have them as they are.

There are a number of ones with red splotches they are the least better options, but wondering if those might make red bolts with the right cross.

Since I know maybe 2% of 100%, there is plenty of time to gain more background about these while they grow up!

Oddly there is very limited amount of information about GB, hardly anyone wants/keeps them. It seems the same with wild Caridina as well. These are the building block shrimp, and it seems as if there would be a little better / more readily available details.

If anyone has interesting or useful articles, or tank diaries from somewhere, let me know!!! Haven't had time to check yet. Been so busy.

Bet those are stunning in a darker planted tank! I would be interested in seeing what crosses would do!

Pics right before going into the their new tank

60074-albums14809-picture72530.jpg

extra shot in case one was more clear on different shrimp
60074-albums14809-picture72531.jpg

Different color under the container
60074-albums14809-picture72532.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72533.jpg

Getting ready to put them into the tank. Acclimating for about 10 hours.

Back
Top Bottom