Please ID this snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone!! So I bought some plants and these little critters must have hitched a ride. Didn't mind them at first, now they are taking over my tank and causing it to be filthy!!!! Who are they and how do I cut them down??? Oh and the plants didn't survive, but the snails power on!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433153020.254034.jpg

They don't grow very big although I have a couple that are quite larger than the rest!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a bladder snail.

Depending on what you have in the tank you can try any of the snail-be-gone products or algae killers. You can add some assassin snails, loaches, puffer to take care of it.

You can trap them using lettuce or some sort of vegetable and in the middle of the night pull it out...a lot will be on it.

Cut back on feeding, their population booms when there is a lot of excess food for them to live off of.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you're up for a cool fish and have a big enough tank with not many other fish you could add a dwarf puffer. He'll gladly eat them in a couple days. If you do decide to go this route, then make sure you have a food source for after he finishes them off. I know that Sera makes snail traps, here's a link: Amazon.com : Sera Snail Collect (Snail Trap) : Patio, Lawn & Garden It might be easier to just take a DIY snail trap, linked here:
This works just as well and doesn't cost a thing! I'd personally go with a puffer though lol. Or an assassin snail, they're pretty cool and it might take them a while but they'll get the job done.

If you're up for a cool fish and have a big enough tank with not many other fish you could add a dwarf puffer. He'll gladly eat them in a couple days. If you do decide to go this route, then make sure you have a food source for after he finishes them off. I know that Sera makes snail traps, here's a link: Amazon.com : Sera Snail Collect (Snail Trap) : Patio, Lawn & Garden It might be easier to just take a DIY snail trap, linked here:
This works just as well and doesn't cost a thing! I'd personally go with a puffer though lol. Or an assassin snail, they're pretty cool and it might take them a while but they'll get the job done.

or yoyo loach.

Puffer can be a bit aggressive and nippy from what Im told. I have 2 in a 5 gallon with a guppy and 2 BB gobies. Mine are great but I have read and heard stories from others that contradict my own experience.

Yoyo loaches should wipe them out and are communal and pretty goofy to watch.

Im pretty sure my Rams eat them to. I have a gold veiled ram who has all but given up on flake and worms. He never eats but doesnt seem to get thinner. I see him pecking around at plants and gravel so I figure hes eating the baby snails.

You could mush them on the glass and feed them to the fish as well. When I had them I got my angel and gourami to start eating them off the glass whole this way.

Back
Top Bottom