Poor Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My poor mystery snail is crawling up one of my biggest statues in hopes of getting air when really he has to crawl up the side of my fishtank walls in order to get air. I'm thinking he's kinds destperate or he might be dying. Anything I can do about this? I really feel sorry for him. :(

Ok now he just fell off the tower but is there anything I can do to make sure he knows that the only way he can get air is to crawl up the walls?

What about try clipping some vegetables on the side or close to the top? It might work..

What about try clipping some vegetables on the side or close to the top? It might work..

I would but my goldfish will just eat it. I tried just putting a veggie in there once, no clip. My goldfish started ripping pieces off and it clouded the water.

I would but my goldfish will just eat it. I tried just putting a veggie in there once, no clip. My goldfish started ripping pieces off and it clouded the water.

Oh... I'm not sure then. Maybe it will find its way.

Put it in a smaller tank with the same water or go out and buy a bubble wand I have one in my 55 and my ill sister had a beta put he beta in the 55 and it was like it had never had air before

It may want to lay eggs.

It could just be cleaning things.

Have you checked your water quality...

Is it still alive?

If you have a hang on the back filter going or any filter it should have air.

I'm sure it's fine. Mine climb all over EVERYTHING. If it is female looking to lay eggs, assuming it's a Mystery snail, she will find a way above the water line even if it means climbing out of the tank. If there's room above the waterline she'll lay them there. Yours sounds like normal behavior to me.

I'm sure it's fine. Mine climb all over EVERYTHING. If it is female looking to lay eggs, assuming it's a Mystery snail, she will find a way above the water line even if it means climbing out of the tank. If there's room above the waterline she'll lay them there. Yours sounds like normal behavior to me.

K good. But now my snail is ignoring my cuttlebone. Do you know a way to get him to eat it or do you know another method of getting calcium into the water? His shell is beginning to deteriorate and I'm getting worried.

You can scrape the cuttlebone with a knife and put the dust in there.

But do you know what your water pH is?
what your TDS total dissolved solids or gh/kh general hardness/carbonate hardness?

Those things might help you get the correct amount in there if needed at all.

My snails munch on the cuttlebone once in a while. Yours might be doing it too. Softer /acidic water will eat up the shells.

There is a shrimp mineral supplement too. Fluval makes one, and there are a couple other companies. Basically is the same as adding some crushed coral to the water. You will end up increasing the pH.

So make sure it is ok with the other stock you have and add it gradually.

Then you will need to figure out how much will be needed to add/replace the supplement when you do a water change, so like per gallon or per 5 gallon bucket, so you don't mess with the fish/tank parameters.

You can scrape the cuttlebone with a knife and put the dust in there.

But do you know what your water pH is?
what your TDS total dissolved solids or gh/kh general hardness/carbonate hardness?

Those things might help you get the correct amount in there if needed at all.

My snails munch on the cuttlebone once in a while. Yours might be doing it too. Softer /acidic water will eat up the shells.

There is a shrimp mineral supplement too. Fluval makes one, and there are a couple other companies. Basically is the same as adding some crushed coral to the water. You will end up increasing the pH.

So make sure it is ok with the other stock you have and add it gradually.

Then you will need to figure out how much will be needed to add/replace the supplement when you do a water change, so like per gallon or per 5 gallon bucket, so you don't mess with the fish/tank parameters.

My ph is 7.2 and thanks for the info :) but I'm still a bit worried

Have you tested ammonia yet? I know from your previous threads that your tank is only like a week or two old, hasn't been cycled, and has waaaay too many fish for a 29 gallon. I am guessing ammonia is the problem with the snail shell. Most tap has plenty of calcium.

Back
Top Bottom