Pregnant amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my shrimp is carrying eggs underneath on some flap type things under her tail and I have a couple of questions

Can I move her because she is in a community tank?
How do I feed or care for them?
Is there anything special they need like extra hiding places etc?
How long do they take to hatch? (I only noticed today but they could have been there a while)

HELP? Please :)

dont bother, breeding amano is alot of work, just let her lay the eggs and the fish eat them.

Amanos breed in freshwater, but the larva needs to be moved to brackish to survive, and then you need to feed them special liquid food (whose name escape me at the moment), then after 40+ days of that, you can move them back to freshwater.

It's kind of sad, but even if you had the salt water, it takes a month for the larvae, aka zoeys, to morph into shrimplets that can go back to fresh water. During that time you have to feed them too..cultured greenwater or infusoria cultures. It is a great big pile of effort and no guarantee of success. I'm dying to try it though.

It's kind of sad, but even if you had the salt water, it takes a month for the larvae, aka zoeys, to morph into shrimplets that can go back to fresh water. During that time you have to feed them too..cultured greenwater or infusoria cultures. It is a great big pile of effort and no guarantee of success. I'm dying to try it though.

Wow :-/ I wouldn't even know where I could get the marine salt or a test kit for how much salt is in it or even the kind if food I'd need for them, maybe when I have a proper set up and not lots of smaller tanks I can think about something like this.

Thanks for the help :)

its a great learning experience. BUT if all you want is more amanos buying is cheaper and easier.)

its a great learning experience. BUT if all you want is more amanos buying is cheaper and easier.)

Yup I'm thinking the same thing, would be cool to know I've helped raise them myself but not yet I'm currently fry watching on 3 guppys and a platy, that takes up enough time lol considering moving them all to the same tank to free up some room and add a few more small fake plants

At some point, I am going to try not only raising Amanos, but also Stone shrimp, [ a caridina species as well], and 3 species of fan shrimp, some of which take 90 days to morph into shrimplets. It will be a challenge, but I really hope to give it a go.

Salt and ways to measure it are easily found online and any fish store that sells marine supplies will have all you need as well. I have the salt and the gadget to more or less measure salinity. Just need the tank and time now.

Back
Top Bottom