PRL 2020 - Autumnsky starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So pretty! After my mess with infection in my tanks I’m a little terrified to try anything new so kudos for trying again!

For sure. My hope is that I get a connection for my RO unit. After changing the kitchen sink faucet, made it not fit.

Or actually venture out to the SW lfs - if they are open, and fill up my RO 5G containers.

The water catastrophe broke my heart. Have Salty Shrimp GH although only mixed it one time years ago. The real reason I switched over to Caridina is that my tap water is ideal for them. Unless there is some kind of poison chemical used in flushing the lines.

They are really happy looking at this time. They didn't like their special food I bought from the seller, ignored it. Busy picking away at everything else.

Fed them about 10 tiny Guppy food pellets.

I realize I am a terrible over feeder for my fish (trying to reform). But not so much with my special shrimp. I am a shrimp feeder though, love watching them eat!

Probably will find my Bacter AE and shrimp snow and give them a tiny bit tomorrow after the, also tiny, pwc.

So happy about them!

Planning to do 10% pwc every few days. I have to add water due to evaporation also. But right now don't have any RO or distilled water.

.... do these guys come in a blue pattern? I am pondering another DIY I saw, a neat shelved waterfall tank. I could raise different shrimp in each one!

The Blues would be Shadow Panda - Shadow Mosura / then the other are Blue Bolt - Deep Blue Bolt. I think the charts have them but sooo beautiful

Update plz....

Thank you, I am slacking!

So it seems I have been laying low here and need to catch up.

My internet is slow right now. Will add a few pics asap!

Pretty much do a small pwc every other day or 3rd day, ~half gallon. Once a week I do about a gallon.

Feeding is very light since there are so few in there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Shrimp

Started with 10 and I think there are 7 but maybe only 6. Not sure as I could not on several attempts locate more.

I know positively there were 2 dead ones. I found one decomposed in the back one day and did a pwc, then the next day or day after there was one freshly dead. Very disturbing. I watched and could count 7 pretty sure.

A couple were in the back and would ander back or forth and a couple look nearly the same so I am not positive.

Counted 6 absolutely. There are still the same since that first 10 to appx. 14 day mark. I know they made it past the week. Can't recall atm more specific loss period.

It was after feeding a couple small pieces of "snow" after skipping a day from feeding one small piece and food, and I supposed it could have been a little ammonia spike.

When I found the decayed body I checked the water and it was perfect but the pH was appx 6.4, much lower than what they came in, but not too low for the species. Then there was the one body looked fine but apparently newly dead.

Between those couple days did pwc probably a couple back to back and then almost 3 gallons but 1G back to back to back. That doesn't exactly count as 3G since you didn't get rid of 3 old gallons to start off. But easier on the shrimp water parameters.

The remaining little guys look very good.

In assessing their features and patterns. A few have a "off" crown / not ideally shaped, so although they are good quality, not all would be show quality. Very happy overall with these guys though. Much nicer than the lfs offerings (if just CRS, not to mention no one caries PRL around here)

`````````````````````````````````

For pwc's I added a pinch more calcium and do that appx every other pwc. Or with the 1G pwc.

They look very active and are crawling all around feeding.

I have a few assorted shrimp food Sample packs purchased, Shrimp King, Shirakura, Low Keys, a combo pack misc. and rotating around with mostly different foods each day. A little pinch of Bacter AE maybe 1x per week.

A Mineral Junkie pearl about 1 time a week or when I remember. Snails love them!!!

Have 2 kinds of baby shrimp food also added in periodically.

Also Seaweed Extreme pieces. A bit of seaweed sheet occasionally.

Last edited:
Pics update:

Sorry I realized there are water spots. :/ Usually I have water spots because I am a messy maintenance do-er.

60074-albums14810-picture72625.jpg

60074-albums14810-picture72626.jpg

Top shot down
60074-albums14810-picture72624.jpg

60074-albums14810-picture72627.jpg

60074-albums14810-picture72629.jpg

Thank you All!

Hahaha Yes, premium Puffer snacks to be sure!!! When only the finest will do!

They have been growing and filling out. Still very much excited.

Considering buying another little batch from a different supplier in a few months when I catch up with some OTHER things which need attention. Will post about the Golden Bees too. Seem to be doing well in their jungle home.

Berried female! No pics right now. The remaining shrimp look just great just bigger than the ones in the earlier pics. Pure bright white and small amounts of solid red mostly Mosura mosura crown type pattern.

Very excited about possible babies. New mom and early stages of being berried, so hard telling how it will turn out.

I do love these shrimp and might try getting a few more from the same seller as these came from. The heat is mid 90's already earlier in the week, and might wait for fall.

So after the trip away for 10 days, no babies in sight and no visible eggs right now. Two look like they have full skirts but no eggs popping out.

I saw 5 females and I think one male that's possibly one shrimp short from last time. :/ hoping it was hiding.

Also though, if that maybe male was a smaller female, maybe I don't have any males now?

Picked out a bunch if tufts of algae. Thinking the damaged light I threw on is helping grow algae. Its the Finnex clip on - after falling sideways in the water a couple times the white lights went out on the watered side. Red and blue.
Already ordered and received a new one but ended up using it in a different tank/ wine glass.

Copied this update from the "daily" log What did you do with your tank today? And you may already have read this exact text...

A few days back ended up deciding to treat the DW in the 6.6G PRL shrimp tank with hydrogen peroxide, common pharmacy /home strength (maybe 3% what ever the common one is).

Picked out all the big tufts of algae off the plants, and prefilter.

Decided the worst of it was from the DW "log" which had a huge Java Fern on it.

Gathered a tooth brush and cup for some peroxide water. I pulled it out of the tank. After removing a couple snails and a few larger pieces of algae tufts, I just poured some H2O2, has a squirting hole in the top.

Then scrubbed it as much as possible all around the would surface away from the end which has moss growing on it and the roots of the Java fern.

Then rinsed and did it again and a 3rd time on a couple spots where it had been worse. Of course super rinses, and brushed only and rinsed yet a couple more times and put it back.

Then did some quick vac'ing and refilling with 2 -16 ounce cups at a time to keep the water level above the intake for the filter. Taking plenty of time with a few minutes in between, in hopes it would be an easier transition on the shrimp.

Ended up doing appx 4-4.5G total. Had earlier in the day done a regular pwc after pH testing and finding it a little bit low.

Changed the fine filter pad and prefilter sponge too.

So everything cleared out after leaving the prefilter sponge off for a half hour or so.

I removed a huge number of plants which made it super hard to see into the tank.

I took pics but still can't load pics atm.

Numerous small Windelov Java Fern babies and small plants as well as regular Java Fern little start plants. Several regular Micro Anubias Nana, and one called Chilli which has a bit pointier /narrow leaf shape. All the pics are so different based upon light and whatever someone named it. The regular tiny ones were from a hobbyist seller probably 7 years ago, before anyone was selling them commercially any where I saw. What an adorable plant. Always has been a very special plant to me with the love of shrimp and nano tanks.

After this big water change it seems I can not find one of the shrimp. There are not many left so I am considering a new batch (or possibly going in a different direction.

Sent an email to the seller and haven't noticed a response come through yet, been a couple days, though I know people are away, busy, having reduced hours /stocks, etc.

I am thinking doing a better job on the water, only minimum pwc's using only remineralized RO, and not traveling away from home... might be better. They are expensive for trial and error.

Have been doing a good job of small frequent pwc's but the shrimp have dwindled down to 3 I saw yesterday.

I am wondering about the pH they generally need a lower pH. But when I got the pH up some to about 7 they seemed to do well.

There is no ammonia, no nitrite, low nitrate varies from 0-5
usually 0. kH 1.5 GH 3 pH 6.5

do not know TDS, have to look for the meter which I bought and did not calibrate at that time as I didn't have distilled water.

PRL Sellers listing of parameters TDS 90-120 gH 3-5 kH 0-1 pH 5.5-6.5

So...

I did a whole bunch of tests tonight on tank waters (before and after pwc) tap water, RO water from the lfs store, distilled bottled water, and SW from the lfs, and tank & tap water a few times with added calcium for comparative reasons. Just to make sure all the numbers were coming out correctly. So many tests.

Previously I was using calcium to add some kH to the water, often it is 0 kH. I stopped doing that some weeks ago. But sometimes add some magnesium to the water (1 teaspoon for 5G).

I take excellent care of these guys. So it is very sad in loosing them.
They look beautiful.
60074-albums14810-picture72667.jpg

Today when doing the pwc, saw 3 shrimp and one molt or could be a shell of a dead but I was in there yesterday evening and saw shrimp and think it is a fresh molt.

There doesn't look like any illness on the ones I see. All act good, pick around and are actively moving in the aquarium as a usual healthy shrimp

DW I treated with H2O2 looks great. Have been trying to have less lighting for them.

Also PM'd the PRL seller again from my purchase emails with him this time, about more shrimp if available.

Also looking at a different breeder option - maybe in a month, unless we have overnight mail delivery.

Tonight when I did the pwc I saw 4 shrimp!!!

That is 1 shrimp more than I thought. A tiny bit of relief. I only saw 2 last night!

Did a 30 ounce pwc and added back 1 30 ounce cup of RO and 1 of regular water. Trying to reduce possible TDS. Think I remembered where the new TDS meter is.

60074-albums14810-picture72690.jpg

Acclimating...

The new batch arrived, all well, 10+1 as sold. The USPS tracking said it would take 7 days for them to arrive, but as it would be, they arrived in 4 days. Thank goodness!

Much relieved.

They look good but very small.

Back
Top Bottom