PRL 2020 - Autumnsky starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have babies!!!

Found new babies!!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Last week I thought I saw a teesy baby but by the time I got the magnifying glass I nothing.

After glancing around I didn't notice anything else...

But I not only have new additions from online, but there are at least 4 babies (maybe 5) which are again half the size of the small shrimp I just got in the mail!!!

This is such a relief, as I was secretly (maybe not so secretly) upset with a seeming failed attempt at getting these out of the starting gate!

BUT, it is around the 6 months mark which seems to somehow be the magic number for reproduction.

60074-albums14810-picture72691.jpg

Good focus on the other baby
60074-albums14810-picture72692.jpg

other baby
60074-albums14810-picture72693.jpg

another baby
60074-albums14810-picture72694.jpg

maybe another
60074-albums14810-picture72695.jpg

Thank you, thank you! So very excited. So weird to be this happy about it, rofl. Family member said oh, hou had to post a birth announcement! True. True.

This moving slowly... Found a baby on October 28 kept seeing it for 2 days maybe 3, then didn't see it for 2 days and thought it might be gone.

Today I see it, PLUS a new tiny baby. So this one today looks the size of the other one from a week ago. Sure hope there are a few more hiding. They look all the same right now, beautiful and sooooooo tiny!!! Will post a couple pics soon.

Here is an update taken from my other posting below.

It is a bad day to have confirmation. I had suspicions starting not too long ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Unfortunately I discovered that the new "PRL" are not Pure Red Line. Easily discovered when the babies aren't identical to the PRL line.

There is a mixed up shrimp because although the original group did indeed have identical babies no odd ball colors / types. This group has an odd shrimp and there are at least 2 babies which have wrong colors. One had reddish brown strip and a black fan on the tail. And another is dark reddish to black bands. One I saw as a newborn fry looked a bit orange on the stripe, but haven seen it recently.

I know the few adults which are good and pure originally, but now bred with the mixed ones. I think there was just one male real PRL. So I am up the creek without a proper shrimp so to speak.

The seller which perfect in the first shipment, was terrible on the second, not communicated after numerous emails, and for months didn't email or send my other missing part of the order, then finally after months - encouraged strongly to fix the problem, gave me a refund.

This was a brand new tank with no other shrimp in my possession, and no possible way of getting them mixed and their line ruined. So I was possibly swindled, and I am disappointed the most that I could be in the situation. So much money wasted. I could get 2x the shrimp I got for half the price, at least.

Now not sure what direction to go in. Just throw them in the mixed Bees tank and chalk it up to experience as the saying goes. Or remove the messed up ones aka culls and have a tank of CRS. I didn't want several shrimp tanks right now. Just the 2. Thankfully they didn't get put into the brand new tank, and I still have a chance to keep PRL. If I can get some actual PRL shrimp. Due to outside circumstances, the PRL Project will probably just need to wait.

My shrimp soul is broken right now. :nono: :bawl:

:banghead::banghead::bad-words:

[end of copied post]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a nearly adult shrimp which had a shadow of blue on its abdomen. Sort of could see, and then not always. Wondered if it was just about to die.

When the baby shrimp came not too long ago, I thought I could see one shrimp which looked like a CRS pattern but more orange band across the top. It was microscopic like size new born. So I wasn't sure if it was the light or what. And one which seemed just a smidge darker, again these things I was using a magnifying glass on and it just seemed off a little. As they are more like fry size and I can see, still, also better with the magnifying glass, it is confirmed, NOT PRL.

Very deflated.

Last edited:
Cleaning Clado algae tufts out of the tank. Find tiny baby shrimp.

Also looked through and can tell at least 5 maybe 6 different batches of fry and juveniles. That is nice, but disappointing they are CRS now. There are still 3 PRL as far as I can tell, can be identified by the photos of the first ones which were PRL. The markings were specific, plus the male.

Maybe l will see if I can pull them out and wait a few months and then start again and verify if that is the actual PRL.

Alternatively, just enjoy the CRS. Or, I am sure the lfs would buy them from me. But since they are breeding consistently, I maybe should just be happy.

Oh no! Last time I was here this project was looking so good! They’re still gorgeous but I’m sorry your breeding project didn’t go as expected. That’s so disappointing.

Shrimp can be such a frustrating part of the hobby when they’re not being utterly delightful.

My fire red colony completely died out on me, one by one until I had one random shrimp left that seemed to be immune to whatever infection killed the rest. I just a couple weeks ago got up the guts to try again. And these are just Neo’s, I can’t imagine how stressful working with more difficult lines can be!

Hi, nice to see you here. Thank you. It was gut wrenching. I got out the biggest obviously not the right color 2 shrimp.

These last few months of babies are all looking like good quality CRS. Not weird colors where they do not belong. If I see any other odd ones, I will get them out asap. So I still refer to them as the PRL tank just because that is what it was supposed to be.

There is too much going on right now to try a new group, so since these guys are still pretty nice looking plus I already own them/spent the (wasted extra) money for what they were not. And messing up the original ones. :cry:

That is the danger of online purchasing. Not using any online options mean not having access to specialty shrimp varieties. Catch 22.

I found 4 new teeny fry this week, and could see at least 3 from the previous 2 batches. That is nice. And they are pretty. Again unfortunately not as high quality as the first batch was. These have more red stripes, not nearly all white. Annoying for sure.

Shrimp can be such a frustrating part of the hobby when they’re not being utterly delightful.

My fire red colony completely died out on me, one by one until I had one random shrimp left that seemed to be immune to whatever infection killed the rest. I just a couple weeks ago got up the guts to try again. And these are just Neo’s, I can’t imagine how stressful working with more difficult lines can be!

I hope your shrimp do well this time, you have had a frustrating and disappointing time as well.

It’s been pretty terrible. I’ve almost given up on shrimp many many times now.

But I’ve had this last batch for like a month or so. I lost a couple early on which is to be expected due to acclamation stress, but since then no losses and a couple are buried.

I’m sorry yours weren’t what you paid for, but I still have shrimp envy! I would love to have crystal reds in my tank (and I kinda like the lower grades better aesthetically! The striped look is so striking!). But until I’ve had these guys breeding for a while to convince me that they are not hating something in my water, I’m not brave enough to try them. I am crossing my fingers that at a month out I’d have seen any illness in this batch by now!

Maybe I should see if anyone is selling low grade culls as a trial run :lol: I just can’t stop myself :banghead:

Yes, consider/ look for bee shrimp, a large number of kinds / colors can be together. Blue Bolts, CRS, Golden Bee, PRL/PBL, Pintos, yellow or Black King Kong, Shadow Panda, etc. Make for a really fun tank. There is a breeder in a nearby town line breeding for some special shrimp variety and he always has culls which are nice just not the color he's shooting for. Unfortunately I had something happen, maybe too big of water change, and lost most of them.

I just got new foods for shrimp and the main one is Glasgarten Shrimp Fit, a powder which has antioxidants, minerals and immune builders and is recommended that it helps grow up baby shrimp and it spreads around the tank to coat the tank with healthy goodies more spread out where the shrimp naturally forage.

Since it's a powder, I am not positive how much to use just yet. But excited to see how it works. I use enough to make a dime size circle on the top of the water, teensy amount.

I don’t think I’m ready to set up a dedicated tank for them right now though :lol:

My tank water is 6.8-7 and I don’t buffer it lower for the cherries. It’s one of the reasons I tried zebra babaulti in that tank. Reportedly they do better in that ph range than other caridina species. I have read that some people have successfully kept caridina’s in higher ph’s but considering the issues I’ve had I don’t want to keep things in anything but their ideal parameters!

I added that to my rotation when I was having bacterial infection issues. Didn’t help me but I think it’s more a preventive to give them an immune boost, doesn’t do much with an active infection

I don’t think I’m ready to set up a dedicated tank for them right now though :lol:

My tank water is 6.8-7 and I don’t buffer it lower for the cherries. It’s one of the reasons I tried zebra babaulti in that tank. Reportedly they do better in that ph range than other caridina species. I have read that some people have successfully kept caridina’s in higher ph’s but considering the issues I’ve had I don’t want to keep things in anything but their ideal parameters!

I added that to my rotation when I was having bacterial infection issues. Didn’t help me but I think it’s more a preventive to give them an immune boost, doesn’t do much with an active infection

That is understandable.

Are you talking about your adding it to the rotation being the Glasgarten Shrimp fit?

Locally raised shrimp might be the better selection, if you can find them in the future.

Back
Top Bottom