PVP: Glo tetras, nerites; assassin snails, RCS, mini ramshorns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I thought I’d post something I’ve seen in the last few weeks which is just more data on a semi-controversial issue but may be useful to someone down the line.

I was curious whether assassin snails would eat mini ramshorns. They were gone from my main tank though because glo tetras/ barbs (not sure which) DO eat mini ramshorns. They eliminated every single one practically overnight when I adddd them to the tank and even without other snail prey a single assassin snail was unable to harm a large nerite (~nickel size) in the tank with it for weeks. (Note: I have read reports of assassin snails ganging up on older snails so remember this was just one single assassin snail (maybe dime size.)

I still had mini ramshorns in the shrimp tank so on to experiment part 2 ... (Note; I personally like the mini ramshorns so this was more an experiment than a real attempt at eradication).

Conclusion: Grown assassin snails just don’t go for mini ramshorns. (Baby assassins probably would. Too small for the adults, I suspect.) They will however happily take out weak but still live and walking around shrimp; which is not particularly surprising but still interesting to see with your own eyes.

I’m still quite doubtful of their ability to take out healthy shrimp because they’re so dang quick but a shrimp who is not healthy or is about to molt etc; it was pretty fascinating to see A: how fast they can move in hunting mode and B: how tight they can grip an adult cherry. I eventually knocked him away and moved him back to his home tank where he’ll have to gaze longingly at the older nerites which are too big for him to take out alone while searching the substrate for leftover bloodworms.

Hope this helps someone down the line!

In addition to this topic, of Assassin snails, which at the Aquarium Club meeting I was listening to a group of seasoned hobbyists which speculated the ability of a neurotoxin from the snails. Whereas, for instance why would a huge snail like a Mystery snail get taken out by one... little, tiny Assassin?

So one possible rumor of their abilities. Which also makes me concerned about putting my hand in a tank with them, lol or not lol - not sure. :eek:

It was, what seemed as I had walked up to the group of people talking, that someone else in the aquarium field had proposed this consideration. Referring to "he" , as I missed the name. After listening to the back and forth for a few minutes, I was distracted by someone else and went off in the other direction, without further details. Though they had mentioned there were types of Mollusks (Conus parius SW cone snail for one), which have special abilities for capturing /eating their prey.

Might need to check on this.
edit - not the Assassin snail but just a little bit
https://allthatsinteresting.com/cone-snail
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/ne...adly-venom-can-help-us-build-better-medicines

Last edited:
**throat clearing cough**
I too remember reading about Assasins having a neurotoxin but don't remember where I read it. That was what finally convinced me to take them out of my shrimp tank, even thought I had seen them go into *hunt* mode and always found them to be the first on the scene of any carcass in the tank.

Or dying. I have seen one beeline for a struggling shrimp across a tank, ignoring both adult and baby healthy shrimp crawling all over it along the way to get to the one having difficulty molting or something.

I wonder if freshwater shrimp have stress chemicals the way some saltwater critters do.

Creepy... :eek: It could be possible. Survival of the fittest. Makes one consider even when the shrimp are molting seems extra danger too, if they can sense it. Definitely glad to not have them anymore. Also happy for the most part any excess snails become like a sweet treat for the Clown Loaches.

Back
Top Bottom