Question about heat in summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RayRay customs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How high of water temperature will kill shrimp?
I'll add some backround info,
Last summer our A/C went out and it took a couple weeks to get the parts to fix it.
Our house got up to around 95 in side we had fans going but the tanks got well over 80degrees
Day after day, without the fans it would have most likely killed all my fish.
I'd like to into shrimp but I'm worried if it happens again

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to start this off with, "I dont keep shrimp".

People often treat ich in tanks by raising the temperature to 30c/86f for a couple of weeks, especially when they have inverts in the tank because ich medication will kill inverts.

When we've had heat waves here in the UK, ive had tanks in the high 20s for weeks on end, and this year above 30c for a few days. We dont normally have AC here, so rooms tend to get warm when the weather is warm

Last edited:
That makes me feel better!
I've been wanting to try my hand at shrimp but have not done it because of what happened last summer
Thank you

As long as the water temperature goes up slowly over time, the fish and shrimp are not normally affected by warmer water.

The heaters in my tanks were set on 18C (64F) and that is how cool the water got during winter. In summer the water temperature was well over 30C (86F) and sat there for months on end. Shrimp, anemones, plants and fish were all fine. Corals tend to bleach (expel their symbiotic zooxanthellae) when the temperature is over 28C (82F). I had ponds outdoors with fish and shrimp and they hit 40C+ (104F) in summer. The stuff in them was fine.

The main thing is for the temperature to go up naturally and slowly over time and not suddenly jump 20 degrees overnight. It's the sudden change in temperature that kills things in aquariums.

That's good news
I really appreciate the help!!
I've had fish for probably 20-25 years off and on.
And never gave it much thought
But I have more time to think about things now so my brain works overtime on things lol

I don’t have whole house a/c, just in the bedrooms as our climate really doesn’t justify having it. During the summer my tanks are usually in the mid 80s and that’s fish, shrimp and snails.

Nature isn’t constant and temperature fluctuations (within reason) are not going to hurt anything. But like mentioned the key is that this temperature change is gradual not immediate, that’s where you’ll have problems

Back
Top Bottom