Question on Neo Shrimp Colours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieJen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings all,

Quick question in regards to Neo Shrimp Colours - I see that the cherry and the blues have different "quality" in their type, yet the yellows and oranges just seem to have that - yellow or orange.

Are the yellow and orange going to be the lower quality and most likely lose colour or not have vivid colouring with their being no options (that I have seen) as to colour quality?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

It seems that the oranges and yellows actually have a little variation and some have lines on their backs like the yellows mainly.

Reds are the larger variety and regular Cherry shrimp were the starter of the colors now available.

If that is your question, that there aren't as many lower quality of the orange and yellow compared to red. I think they had got a better hold (breed true) on the breeding quality before the release to mass public. But I am not as familiar with the global breeding of those. It's quite amazing the variation we now have for the Neos!!! There was barely affordable high red available 13 years ago.

The yellow and orange do have differing shell color and shell density. Hints of reddish / brownish orange I have noticed.

Here are some looking great in photos - never purchased from there just as a nice photo example
https://buceplant.com/products/sunkist-orange-shrimp

If you look up photos for high grade Orange Sakura Neocaridina Shrimp, you can get a better overall feel for what shrimp might be preferred for you to purchase.

As shrimp travel in shipping, they have stresses / loose color. Coldest winter and hottest summer time are poor times to do shrimp via mail unless you have overnight service, and then also storms as we have just seen and holidays can ruin a quick shipping plan.

If you can find locally bred and raised shrimp you may well be ahead of the game if you are getting shrimp raised with the same water parameters as what you have at your home.

Shrimp imported / sent from very special breeding facility and conditions, then shipped to your country, then shipped to a receiver (holding facility or trans shripper), and then sometimes to yet another place to be then set to you, is a LOT of stress.

Having an established tank, matured and stable is a huge help as well, no matter which way you end up receiving them.

Have you kept dwarf shrimp before?

Last edited:
hi there,

Thanks for that detailed response.

I have some blue dream shrimp and amano in a 40 gallon community that are doing great, but I also have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon I am thinking of adding shrimp too.

I am definitely going to get some red's but not decided on either the yellow or orange - my question was that I hadn't noticed the choice of quality in any other colours other than the red and blue, so wasn't sure if that was because all the other colours are classed more on the lower end of quality colouring.

I purchased previous shrimp from Flip Aquatics and also Aqua Huna and they did great.

I am just undecided on the orange and yellow and was curious if they were pretty much the same quality. I understand that there are lots of things that come into play, just more generalized really. I have been looking at many sites, but people generally use stock photo's or only picture the high quality so can't really trust the pictures online lol.

Jen

To me it would be because they are overall higher grade to start with. In comparison to "red" which can be clear to tan to pink, and those shrimp tend to lower the red in the other darker Cherry shrimp group.

Line breeding is the method for the betterment of color, shell quality, shape, etc. and if you keep that in mind if you are breeding then you should definitely end up with better looing shrimp as time goes on.

Time is shorter to ruin a group than to build a strong line. Some aren't keeping shrimp for breeding a line so they do not care. (like skittles or jellybean packs of all colors of Neo shrimp)

As a side note, for the other two tanks, I would start out with a few bags of filter media and hang them in the back of the tank, like in an actual media bag or in a plastic mesh bag from the produce section like for garlic or other produce (a new nylon knee-hi will work too, just rinse well and use a little Prime dip before use)

After a month, or 6 weeks would be even better, use those media bags for the new tanks filters, that way you will be mostly ready for fish for the other 2 tanks.

But if you want shrimp, I would set up a tank with a group of fish from your primary tank now, or a group needing QT that you would want to add back in later to another tank. That way you will be growing biofilm on everything in the tank while the time passes and the tank stabilizes and matures, creating a good environment for shrimp.

Then when the "new" tank is both stable for a few months, and had fish living there for 4-6 months get the shrimp you want and move your temporary resident fish to their permanent home.

Also something like a Betta and Cories works well too, if the Betta is agreeable to the situation. As the temporary residents in a future shrimp tank.

Setting up new tanks is so much fun!!!

Pretty much I used to always have a couple bags of filter media seasoning in the primary tank so I could plunk in to a new tank or a QT tank or share! (I've been cutting down on number of tanks though last few years) Lately I have been regularly asked for help with people starting new tanks and started doing it again! I heartily suggest that as it sounds like you will be building the aquatic kingdom substantially!

Thank you for that I am glad they are most likely going to be the higher grade, rather than not.

The 20 gallon is up and running and has been for several months, with a few snails and Kuhli loaches - not decided on what fish yet - although I have some red neon blue eyed rainbow fish that are breeding and so I'm collecting their eggs and putting into a breeder box and so I might just use the 20 gallon for the babies when they get bigger.

The 10 gallon I set up a couple of weeks ago and used one of the large sponge filters and a bag of filter media that I had set up in the 40 gallon, I had done a lot of research when I was setting up my 40 and 20 gallon and so gave them both an extra sponge filter and media bag to help things along. The 10 gallon is cycled according to 4 days of constant testing with the API, but I had used other things and lots of plants from the other tanks also so provided it with a lot of beneficial bacteria.

I am going to give it a few more weeks, until I have some spare money lol - though before I buy any shrimp, didn't expect it to cycle so quickly, but pleased it has.

As for fish, I am rather taken by the rainbow fish, I am contemplating either the fork fish tail blue eye, or Gertrude blue eye, I like the super small fish that swim in shoals. But will think about that more in the new year. I do like mollies, but they have so many babies I feel with the snails and the rainbow fish, I'm running more of a maternity ward lol.

Thank you again for your advise - I am leaning more towards the orange shrimp, I think it will give more of a vibrant colour than the yellow, or maybe I'll just have to invest in another 10 gallon and get both lol.

Jen

Thank you for that I am glad they are most likely going to be the higher grade, rather than not.

The 20 gallon is up and running and has been for several months, with a few snails and Kuhli loaches - not decided on what fish yet - although I have some red neon blue eyed rainbow fish that are breeding and so I'm collecting their eggs and putting into a breeder box and so I might just use the 20 gallon for the babies when they get bigger.

The 10 gallon I set up a couple of weeks ago and used one of the large sponge filters and a bag of filter media that I had set up in the 40 gallon, I had done a lot of research when I was setting up my 40 and 20 gallon and so gave them both an extra sponge filter and media bag to help things along. The 10 gallon is cycled according to 4 days of constant testing with the API, but I had used other things and lots of plants from the other tanks also so provided it with a lot of beneficial bacteria.

I am going to give it a few more weeks, until I have some spare money lol - though before I buy any shrimp, didn't expect it to cycle so quickly, but pleased it has.

As for fish, I am rather taken by the rainbow fish, I am contemplating either the fork fish tail blue eye, or Gertrude blue eye, I like the super small fish that swim in shoals. But will think about that more in the new year. I do like mollies, but they have so many babies I feel with the snails and the rainbow fish, I'm running more of a maternity ward lol.

Thank you again for your advise - I am leaning more towards the orange shrimp, I think it will give more of a vibrant colour than the yellow, or maybe I'll just have to invest in another 10 gallon and get both lol.

Jen

So happy that you are already prepared and advancing on new worlds.

My favorite are the orange (vs. yellow).

Though depending upon your "tap" water parameters, check out Tangerine Tiger shrimp. Different looking than Neos, also in a jewel tone better quality and a more pale lesser quality version.

You can always use RO water and remineralize for the Tangerine Tigers if your water isn't ideal for them. My water was suited for them, and mine were home raised locally by someone moving away and I got the whole group and they were indeed an awesome group of shrimp stunning color super active all over everything and funny to watch, and really "pop" on green moss and plants. (Do not keep them currently)
horrible pics really, bad cell phone camera ~2016 much more like the color of an orange peel irl
60074-albums14480-picture70779.jpg

60074-albums14480-picture69704.jpg

yellow neons

Hi Jen i have yellow neons and i find that the females are a far more solid color than males but they are bright yellow so show out alot in most tanks i hope this helps cheers Peartree

This is awesome information and I am SO excited to know that the Tiger Shrimp can live with the Neo's and not breed, I am definitely going to be getting some of those, and now I can get yellow and reds too - thank you so much for that info... just have to find some money now lol.. always the hard part.

As for the RO I honestly don't have time to start doing set up's like that, I have to keep all this contained, I had only planned on 1 and now have 4, although only 2 currently up and running with livestock - it is very easy to get addicted isn't it lol.

Hoping you had a wonderful new year and all the very best to you and yours for 2023.

Jen

Hi Peartree,

Are they just the standard yellows that you have, or the golden-backs, I have seen those on a few different sites when searching around, they are more expensive so presume they are the higher band - which isn't a big issue for me, if they breed they breed, I won't be selling or anything, but would just like some colour in the tank.

Thanks and all the best for 2023.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom