Question on starting a shrimp tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hroom88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had previously kept some yellows in a 75g planted with amanos and threadfins. Recently I got a 10g and wanted to start a shrimp only tank.

Question is, is it possible for shrimp to thrive and multiply if I keep them in a bare bottom tank with maybe lots of java moss, or some moss balls[filter - sponge filter]? I'd be going for either,
NeoC.
Rili
Yellow
blue pearl
b. velvet

and/or

cards
Blue Bee Shrimp
Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
Caridina cantonensis sp. "Super Tiger"e; etc

Or is a planted tank a bare minimum?

I had previously kept some yellows in a 75g planted with amanos and threadfins. Recently I got a 10g and wanted to start a shrimp only tank.

Question is, is it possible for shrimp to thrive and multiply if I keep them in a bare bottom tank with maybe lots of java moss, or some moss balls[filter - sponge filter]? I'd be going for either,
NeoC.
Rili
Yellow
blue pearl
b. velvet

and/or

cards
Blue Bee Shrimp
Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
Caridina cantonensis sp. "Super Tiger"e; etc

Or is a planted tank a bare minimum?

Hello!

If I were you, I would at least get a slight layer of sand (cheap sand like Pool Filter Sand works wonderfully). Shrimp will turn over small sand particles in searching for food. They would do fine in a bare tank but it just might be a little better that way. If you provide a large amount of Java Moss they will be fine. Planted tanks arent required but plants are always a plus! :)

In something as relatively small as a 10g, I would focus on one type of shrimp (especially if your eventual plan is to sell them). With the set up of just some Java Moss and bare/sand I would focus on a Neo since those are more hardy. Cards can be finicky from time to time and I would recommend more than the bare minimum for most of them (I have lost my fair share of those expensive little buggers...). I have always been a fan of the Pumpkin Neos but Rili are a good middle ground visual wise between Neos and Cards.

Hope that helps!

Unless you use RO water and treat it with addictive to the desired level of water parameter...or your tap watrr comes out perfectly good, then you can go with bare bottom Those cards shrimps are very sensitive and can't live in any condition.

Cards can be finicky from time to time and I would recommend more than the bare minimum for most of them (I have lost my fair share of those expensive little buggers...). I have always been a fan of the Pumpkin Neos but Rili are a good middle ground visual wise between Neos and Cards.

Hope that helps!

Didn't know cards were that fragile. An acquaintance kept black bees with relative ease so I surmised...
Maybe I'd move those to the 75g and keep the 10g for neos only. Actually I still have half of that amazonia that I set the 75g remaining. But I wanted to use that for another 2' that's in the pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom