Questions about mystery snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KzW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I picked up 3 mystery snails from PetSmart about 2 weeks ago. They seem to be doing well. ...I was opposed to snails in my tank and now, WOW!, they are so much fun!! Who knew!!

Ok, so, lots of concerns and questions. My tank is set up with a 70 gal tall freshwater, have a lava rock, gravel, mopani log...a Cascade 600.

What I am wondering is what should I do with "blanching" vegetables?...how is that done exactly?

Is there a recommended calcium supplement for their shells?

What is the best way to cover the filter intake tubing to avoid mishaps?...and, have heard some of the sponge filters coming in needing to be cleaned...any suggestions on best ways to clean those in when they arrive?

...if anyone has suggestions on securing the tank lid around tubing and cords to avoid "tank jumping" would appreciate those!! Have not had any attempts so far but bound to happen.

Thank you so much for your advice!!

-K

Hi for blanching veg, you just boil it in a pan for a min then I remove it at let it cool. For calcium I use cuttlebone and calcium rich foods, kale, spinach and hikari crab cuisine.
Snails are fun to watch I really enjoy mine.

How do you secure the cuttlebone and veggies?...on the side or on the bottom?

Have seen pics of the veggies on some ware...does that have rust issues?

I tried Tums and all the snails have left the bottom and are at the top of the tank...so far it has only been occasionally that one will surface... should I remove?

They are great! Never know what to expect. And so much smarter and faster than they are typically given credit!

Some people use a chopstick or plastic ware fork to skewer the veggie so you have a bit of chance to remove easily. There are little glass lab dishes / shrimp feeding dish used for feeding shrimp and they work well to help keep food sort of in one spot. Snails can knock them over out!

ShellyX is right on target for supplementing. Also as a food you can try Hikari Crab Cuisine which has minerals for shell growth, in addition to a healthy diet.

Do you know what your GH/KH is? Soft water is not ideal for them.

Not sure on the hardness...with the mopani log would have thought it was pretty soft , otherwise, how can you tell...my test kit does not have a tool for that one...?

The little ones have come back down. And are scooting all over. The blue one when I had come in earlier yesterday seemed so lethargic...was worried. Good to see that one so much more active. Will definitely add "blanched" veggies after morning work...they might be showing signs of hunger...?

Back
Top Bottom