Questions on ghost shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just bought 4 ghost shrimp yesterday for my 1 gal. Fry tank. I was thinking about transfering two of them to my daughters 10 gal. Here in two weeks. The 10 gal. Is stocked with 2 fancy guppies, 4 card tets, and 2 ADFs. My first question is, will the shrimp and the frogs be ok together? My other question comes to plants. My daughters tank is not planted, but decorated with plastic plants, is it important for the shrimp health to have live plants or will they survive with out? Thanks for any help and advice in advance!

So I just bought 4 ghost shrimp yesterday for my 1 gal. Fry tank. I was thinking about transfering two of them to my daughters 10 gal. Here in two weeks. The 10 gal. Is stocked with 2 fancy guppies, 4 card tets, and 2 ADFs. My first question is, will the shrimp and the frogs be ok together? My other question comes to plants. My daughters tank is not planted, but decorated with plastic plants, is it important for the shrimp health to have live plants or will they survive with out? Thanks for any help and advice in advance!

Shrimp can live fine without real plants if they can get food on the bottom (shrimp pellets, etc) and as for the frogs african dwarf frogs should get along fine as I have had one before and know that they move slowly to catch food. So you should be fine.

Shrimp can live fine without real plants if they can get food on the bottom (shrimp pellets, etc) and as for the frogs african dwarf frogs should get along fine as I have had one before and know that they move slowly to catch food. So you should be fine.

Thanks! I didn't think there would be a problem with the frogs, just wanted to make sure. My daughter over feeds a little in her tank so I don't think they will have a problem eating. I'm also going to set up a food corner for them

You might want to be careful with them being with your fry because I have heard of cases where they eat fish fry just a heads up

You might want to be careful with them being with your fry because I have heard of cases where they eat fish fry just a heads up

Didn't think about them eating the fry. Just did some research on this and decided I'm going to move the bigger shrimp to the main tank and leave the small shrimp and keep an eye on them. Will move the shrimp out if they start going after the fry. Thanks for the advice!

I will say that shrimp love marimo moss balls. I have about 10 and they love them!

Ghost shrimp in particular are fairly aggressive little buggers. They will sometimes eat betta fins, fry, small fish, and each other.

Ghost shrimp in particular are fairly aggressive little buggers. They will sometimes eat betta fins, fry, small fish, and each other.

Wow never had that happen. They only eat things that are dead in my tank.

Thanks for all the advice! From what i have read through some of my continued research, it seems to be about a 50/50 scenario. I even saw a video of one trying to eat a guppy. I did also read if you keep them well fed they tend to be less aggressive.

Thanks for all the advice! From what i have read through some of my continued research, it seems to be about a 50/50 scenario. I even saw a video of one trying to eat a guppy. I did also read if you keep them well fed they tend to be less aggressive.

While we're all still on here I have a quick question about ghost shrimp. Can they live peacefully with pictus catfish, a pleco, and possibly, a few different species of Molly. ( I don't currently have some of these fish, but this is a plan for a future tank I might get.)

I have ghost shrimp both in my 70 gallon planted with a huge mix of fish, and in my daughters 20 gallon. I've never had an issue with them attacking/eating any other tank mates.

They live peacefully with 2 African dwarf frogs in my daughters tank

My 70 has boesmani rainbows, rasboras, butterfly pleco, GBRs, Bolivian rams and oto cats

I have ghost shrimp both in my 70 gallon planted with a huge mix of fish, and in my daughters 20 gallon. I've never had an issue with them attacking/eating any other tank mates.

They live peacefully with 2 African dwarf frogs in my daughters tank

My 70 has boesmani rainbows, rasboras, butterfly pleco, GBRs, Bolivian rams and oto cats

Sounds like a successful scenario. Will definantly try putting the smaller shrimp with my guppy fry. If all else fails ill just get a snail or 2 for the fry tank.

Thanks for all the advice! It's very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom