Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikariajk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. So today I went to check my aquarium to see if everything is ok and I found my apple snails like this... What are they doing? Are they reproducing? IMG_20191213_132840.jpg

So it is okay if they are all "cuddled up". They will do this as often as they want to and it is alright.

Keep your water parameters in the safe zone.

Depending upon your tank situation, if you leave the water level down about 3-4 inches from the top. At some point, not exactly relating to how often they get together, the female will go to the upper space and lay a clutch of eggs in a bumpy line.

Think this pic is oriented as if looking from the top of the tank down.

I took video of the female laying the eggs, it was pretty amazing to see. Need to figure out the posting on it.
60074-albums14653-picture72188.jpg

Do not make the tank too clean, leave the sides and back alone / not scrub off, to allow the biofilm to grow and same with plants and rock and DW.

That does not mean the water - water needs to be tip top safe.

If you see that the female is laying egg clusters, just know there doesn't seem to be a set way they do things, other than around about every 4 weeks or even every 2 weeks can lay one.

New mom snails sometimes do not lay a fertilized clutch and sometimes they are very small like a thumb nail, or can be that most do not develop.

They breath air while they are in the eggs so do not drown them with raising the water
level. They have gills which develop for when they hatch and they live in the water.

So it is okay if they are all "cuddled up". They will do this as often as they want to and it is alright.

Keep your water parameters in the safe zone.

Depending upon your tank situation, if you leave the water level down about 3-4 inches from the top. At some point, not exactly relating to how often they get together, the female will go to the upper space and lay a clutch of eggs in a bumpy line.

Think this pic is oriented as if looking from the top of the tank down.

I took video of the female laying the eggs, it was pretty amazing to see. Need to figure out the posting on it.
60074-albums14653-picture72188.jpg

Do not make the tank too clean, leave the sides and back alone / not scrub off, to allow the biofilm to grow and same with plants and rock and DW.

That does not mean the water - water needs to be tip top safe.

If you see that the female is laying egg clusters, just know there doesn't seem to be a set way they do things, other than around about every 4 weeks or even every 2 weeks can lay one.

New mom snails sometimes do not lay a fertilized clutch and sometimes they are very small like a thumb nail, or can be that most do not develop.

They breath air while they are in the eggs so do not drown them with raising the water
level. They have gills which develop for when they hatch and they live in the water.
Alright! Very helpful thank you will definitely do what you say

Back
Top Bottom