RCS and Snails Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsheldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

My RCS population has been decimated and I bought a mystery snail last week that only lasted 3 days. I've bought another mystery snail and its decided to float (I guess trying to move downstream to better water???) and its producing excessive slime. What am I doing wrong here!?

Water parameters are:

Ph - 7.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
DKh- 5
Dgh- 2

Only have neons, endlers and kuhlis that leave the RCS/snail alone as far as I can see.

Any help will be appreciated!

Your GH is a bit low. But other than that nothing obvious. What are you using to treat your water or any buffers or conditioners being added?

Your GH is a bit low. But other than that nothing obvious. What are you using to treat your water or any buffers or conditioners being added?

Yeah I thought so, just ordered some equilibrium for the Gh and I use prime as conditioner. I have to use baking soda for Kh because my tap is 0. Even if gh is low, why would the snail be producing excessive slime?

Thanks!

My snails do not like baking soda. It has sodium in it. I do t know if that is the same thing as salt but they hate it.

Gotta ask....did you acclimate properly. Sorry if it seems elementary.

Gotta ask....did you acclimate properly. Sorry if it seems elementary.

RCS i used drip method but the snails I only acclimated temp. The Lfs actually told me to just dump them in straight away! I'm guessing this might be the issue..?

Possible...snails pretty durable. You should drip all living things really. Odd that its snails and shrimp.

Could be so many things...shrimp I drip for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom