RCS Changing color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently had a tragic incident where I housed RCS with macrobrachium shrimp that I thought were ghost shrimp. As you may have guessed, the macros devoured my RCS. I have decided to try again, and this time I hope to be able to at least keep the ones I buy alive. Breeding isn't really important since they are being housed with rasboras and a Betta. The Betta is extremely laid back and doesn't care about the snails or the shrimp,but he's a glutton and will probably eat the baby shrimp.

Anywho, I drip acclimated them two days ago and they seem to be doing fine. They ignore the algae wafers I put in there and prefer to munch on my hornwort. Yesterday I noticed a few molted shells and so I assumed that they liked the water. Today however I noticed something funky. These are rather low grade RCS and weren't very bright red when I got them. They had only a light dusting of red, some were even brownish red. But today, they were all a vivid crimson. Like seriously, a very sharp red color. A few of them also developed a lighter strip of pink going down the centre of their backs. Their entire body is red and their bellies where no longer clear.

What the heck is going on? I heard that a bright red color means happy cherry shrimp, but that's a bit too drastic for comfort. Am I just being paranoid? Or is something wrong?

Sent from a rebellious phone that refuses to stay on

I recently had a tragic incident where I housed RCS with macrobrachium shrimp that I thought were ghost shrimp. As you may have guessed, the macros devoured my RCS. I have decided to try again, and this time I hope to be able to at least keep the ones I buy alive. Breeding isn't really important since they are being housed with rasboras and a Betta. The Betta is extremely laid back and doesn't care about the snails or the shrimp,but he's a glutton and will probably eat the baby shrimp.

Anywho, I drip acclimated them two days ago and they seem to be doing fine. They ignore the algae wafers I put in there and prefer to munch on my hornwort. Yesterday I noticed a few molted shells and so I assumed that they liked the water. Today however I noticed something funky. These are rather low grade RCS and weren't very bright red when I got them. They had only a light dusting of red, some were even brownish red. But today, they were all a vivid crimson. Like seriously, a very sharp red color. A few of them also developed a lighter strip of pink going down the centre of their backs. Their entire body is red and their bellies where no longer clear.

What the heck is going on? I heard that a bright red color means happy cherry shrimp, but that's a bit too drastic for comfort. Am I just being paranoid? Or is something wrong?

Their "normal color" is returning, if you had them shipped to you even if you bought PFR they wouldn't look great in the beginning but after they are acclimated try will start to regain their color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their "normal color" is returning, if you had them shipped to you even if you bought PFR they wouldn't look great in the beginning but after they are acclimated try will start to regain their color

With all do respect I dont think thats what hes talking about at all... over years im starting to think that strains of the cherry shrimp and others kinds have become weak. From what ive read I think your shrimp have a BACTERIAL INFECTION. My whole population of Orange Rilis was wiped out. Please post a picture

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With all do respect I dont think thats what hes talking about at all... over years im starting to think that strains of the cherry shrimp and others kinds have become weak. From what ive read I think your shrimp have a BACTERIAL INFECTION. My whole population of Orange Rilis was wiped out. Please post a picture

I respect your opinion but a bacterial infection appears as a cotton colored patch inside the shell. The bacteria turns the flesh white basically. It is very common for RCS to get a pinkish line down their back especially bigger rcs.
Op pictures would help [emoji6]

If they're coloring up I'd say that they are adjusting to their new home. I've seen RCS go from very pale pink to fire red in a short amount of time.

I took the first picture on their first day, and the second picture is them today. Pretty sure It's the same shrimp, but I can't be certain.

Attachments

• 1428168266173.jpg
    1428168266173.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 1428168395135.jpg
    1428168395135.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 115
I'm more concerned when shrimp lose color rather than gain.

@Goldeen: The pics you posted look really normal to me. RCS get deeper in color and females often have that long whitish line down their backs in my tanks, but it does take a few days (up to a week) to have their color fully return if they have just been moved to a new tank. I'd take it as a sign that they're acclimating to the new water parameters.

@Goldeen: The pics you posted look really normal to me. RCS get deeper in color and females often have that long whitish line down their backs in my tanks, but it does take a few days (up to a week) to have their color fully return if they have just been moved to a new tank. I'd take it as a sign that they're acclimating to the new water parameters.

Oh ok, I suppose I was freaking out for nothing then. Thanks, shrimp are so cute but I kinda have a not so good experience with keeping them and every little thing is scaring me a little.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was watching my tank today, and I saw something tiny zip past. I looked closer and saw a tiny shrimp! The RCS are having babies!

Attachments

• 1428813236672.jpg
    1428813236672.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 140
bacterial infection in rcs?

I respect your opinion but a bacterial infection appears as a cotton colored patch inside the shell. The bacteria turns the flesh white basically. It is very common for RCS to get a pinkish line down their back especially bigger rcs.
Op pictures would help [emoji6]

I know this is an old post but it's the only topic I found through the search bar. Does anyone know if this is what my shrimp has? This white spot inside my shrimp wasn't there yesterday. If it is an infection, what should I do and what causes it? Does it spread because I have two other rcs.

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_064415.jpg
    IMG_20170905_064415.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I don't think there's a cause for worrying, Tanker. The shrimp in the picture has a very defined 'saddle'. That is, eggs are developing inside the shrimp, and in a few weeks/days it might become berried if there's a male cherry shrimp in the tank. The shrimp does seem rather pale. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Probably someone with more experience will pitch in.

I don't think there's a cause for worrying, Tanker. The shrimp in the picture has a very defined 'saddle'. That is, eggs are developing inside the shrimp, and in a few weeks/days it might become berried if there's a male cherry shrimp in the tank. The shrimp does seem rather pale. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Probably someone with more experience will pitch in.

Really? Yay! The shrimp are all full body red. I dunno why but every morning they're like that and when I come home for lunch break, they're normal color again. Probably cause I just turned the tank light on and the room is dark so it's probably not them themselves changing color.

Thanks for your reply. First time having shrimp so I'm just a clueless worried parent, ha. I freaked out seeing their first molt thinking one of them keeled over.

I'll look into how to tell the sex apart and hopefully there is a male.

Back
Top Bottom