Rcs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aluo18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally saw RCS at my lfs, and of course, I bought 2 to test them out and they love the tank already, they're "pecking" at everything they crawl on, and trust me, there's lifetime supply of algae in the tank. I reduced my numbers of neons from 20 to 15. I've added a rubbernose pleco, and upgraded the filtration. I have also added an air pump for some surface agitation. I would like to know if the RCS is compatible with the current stocking. What is the success rate of the babies if they breed. The tank is HEAVILY planted, except the part where the filter output is. Also, the filter intake is covered in lush moss growth which is good, not dead ones covered in algae. Guess they like growing on them haha. I plan to buy more tomorrow, how much should I buy? Im thinking about buying 5 more totaling up to 7. Will that be enough to start a colony? Also, they'll be in the bag for a couple of hours since I'm buying them in NY, stay there for a couple of hours, then drive back to NJ. Will they survive? Im keeping them insulated with a rain jacket in a backpack, and try to reduce the water movement in the bag, the lfs does oxygenate the bag. Does this sound like a good plan?

If your talking about red cherry shrimp 7 will be fine if there's male and females in there they will breed like crazy just put something like polyfil on your intake so they don't get sucked up and have lots of hiding places for them

Would this be good?

Attachments

• image-3994897224.jpg
    image-3994897224.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2003208438.jpg
    image-2003208438.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 140
My babies still got in the filter even with a sponge. And apparently thrived in filter. None were dead and saw a bunch of molted shells. You should have no problem breeding with 8 or so. Will start slow but then the population explodes.

There is the odd chance that you have all females. Especially if you hand pick the larger, most colorful specimens. I kept around 5 for a few months and no luck breeding. Purchased 20 from an AA member and they have been busy breeding. Not only the 3 or 4 berried females that arrived in the order but some of the ones I already had have produced eggs and young.
I have a sponge prefilter but have not checked my filter for shrimp. I have a moderate amount of plants but NO fish.

Btw you can save quite a bit ordering online or from another member versus the LFS route.

Back
Top Bottom