RCS Mysteriously dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byron3991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I recently added 10 RCS to my 20 gallon planted tank. I have 8 harlequin rasboras and 4 oto cats in the tank with them. The day after I brought them home and put them in the tank I found one pregnant female on its back dead. When I took it out it bent very easily in it's midsection and almost broke in half. Over the following days all was fine in the tank and I assumed it didn't survive the three hour car ride back. Unfortunately today I came back from a two day trip and yet another was dead in the same position except it was a male and did break in half! Some of my shrimp were hiding while others were out and about doing their usual foraging. All of them have gotten a lot redder as I have had them as well. I know rasboras can pick at adult RCS but I've only seen them curiously nip at one swimming in midwater, although generally they ignore them. Also, I generally skip feeding my rasboras once a week anyway so I don't think they were very hungry. As far as my parameters go my PH is 7.2, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 10ppm, and the Temp is 78F. I haven't used any ferts since I got them and used excel flourish three or four times at half dosage, no CO2 either. I also know they aren't starving because my tank has algae and I give them the an algae wafer every few days. Any suggestions on what to do to prevent any more from dying or what could be killing them? Thanks in advance!

Hello all, I recently added 10 RCS to my 20 gallon planted tank. I have 8 harlequin rasboras and 4 oto cats in the tank with them. The day after I brought them home and put them in the tank I found one pregnant female on its back dead. When I took it out it bent very easily in it's midsection and almost broke in half. Over the following days all was fine in the tank and I assumed it didn't survive the three hour car ride back. Unfortunately today I came back from a two day trip and yet another was dead in the same position except it was a male and did break in half! Some of my shrimp were hiding while others were out and about doing their usual foraging. All of them have gotten a lot redder as I have had them as well. I know rasboras can pick at adult RCS but I've only seen them curiously nip at one swimming in midwater, although generally they ignore them. Also, I generally skip feeding my rasboras once a week anyway so I don't think they were very hungry. As far as my parameters go my PH is 7.2, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 10ppm, and the Temp is 78F. I haven't used any ferts since I got them and used excel flourish three or four times at half dosage, no CO2 either. I also know they aren't starving because my tank has algae and I give them the an algae wafer every few days. Any suggestions on what to do to prevent any more from dying or what could be killing them? Thanks in advance!

Yeap! This issue plagues a lot of people. I noticed you didn't anywhere list your KH, GH or TDS paramaters.

These are incredibly important. Your RCS most likely died trying to molt. They unfortunately died in the process because they couldn't get the necessary nutrients to complete their molts. Or that's how it was explained to me.

If it is a calcium deficiency, you'll be able to add a few supplements/natural things to keep your calcium at a satisfactory level.

Once you figure out your KH, GH and TDS, let us know. But my guess is you have just incredibly soft water.

Thank you very much for your response! I've seen KH and GH test kits before but never TDS. Are they available at petco? I googled it and the only thing that came up are $100-$200 dollar kits. Is there a cheaper option or can I just go with the KH and GH testers?

Byron3991 said:
Thank you very much for your response! I've seen KH and GH test kits before but never TDS. Are they available at petco? I googled it and the only thing that came up are $100-$200 dollar kits. Is there a cheaper option or can I just go with the KH and GH testers?

To be honest, I'm not sure about petco. I know you can pick up API fluid and API test strips. But the strips work really well in my opinion. People say bah strips are garbage, but the ones from API are pretty close, if not near accurate.

The entire kit will only run you 12. It has nitrate nitrite GH KH and TDS.

TDS is total dissolved solids. Generally the more you have, the better off your shrimp are rather than the less you have. Lol.

Alright, I could't find the API test strips so I got the Mardel ones petco had. Although I couldn't find anything that gave tds. It reads: 7.2 ph, 40ppm Alkalinity, 120ppm Total Hardness, 0 nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate. What are some ideal numbers for my shrimp that won't interfere with my fish? Also what are some things I can either put in the water/filter or supplements I can add to change things safely?

Also, is it possible my shrimp are getting stuck in their old shells and dying while trying to molt?

Byron3991 said:
Alright, I could't find the API test strips so I got the Mardel ones petco had. Although I couldn't find anything that gave tds. It reads: 7.2 ph, 40ppm Alkalinity, 120ppm Total Hardness, 0 nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate. What are some ideal numbers for my shrimp that won't interfere with my fish? Also what are some things I can either put in the water/filter or supplements I can add to change things safely?

Also, is it possible my shrimp are getting stuck in their old shells and dying while trying to molt?

Idk how to interpret Alkalinity as KH or GH.. My total hardness isnt far off of yours. So that baffles me a little. Hmmm

From what I've read KH is about the same as alkalinity. Could it be my shrimp aren't getting enough nutrition from the algae in my tank?

Hi how long has your tank been set up? Also have you added any plants lately? I recently have lost allot of shrimp,before they died they appeared to be twitching and would be incoherent then simply sink to the bottom dead:( Good luck

It's been set up for almost two months and I added three micro sword plants when I added the shrimp. I also have driftwood in the tank. Thanks for all the responses!

Hi i recently read in PFK {Practical Fishkeeping} that some plants can contain pesticides used to control pests,the chemicals used is lethal to shrimps,it may just be a coincidence though? Also if you are in the United States this may not be relevant? In the UK most of the plants come from abroad where they have to treat the plants by law to eradicate pests before exporting,depending on where its from to how safe it is to use? Also it may be simply that they didn't travel well and the remaining shrimps will be OK?

I don't think it's pesticides because they were from the store owner's personal community tank. Thanks for telling me though, I'll watch out for that. Hopefully you're right and it's all a coincidence. Thanks!

I am just asking this to cover all the bases, are you sure it is dead shrimp you are finding and not molted shells? How did you acclimate the new shrimp?

Right, I have found empty shells and they look nothing like the shrimp. I acclimated them by putting the bag into the water for about half an hour, then about every fifteen to thirty minutes I added about 50ml of tank water to the existing water. I did this three or four times.

Generally once a week at about 30-25%, although after the second one died I did an extra one that was around 15% and it was three days after my usual water change. I also vacuum the sand each week to get poo up.

The main thing with Shrimp is clean water. Low Nitrates and stable water conditions.

I like to keep my Shrimp in cooler temps, but I don't know for sure what killed yours.

Keep an eye on your fish.

One thing I found with mine, after losing a few colonies of about 100 each, was not to fill directly from the tap when I do a water change. I use a python for all my tanks, and found that our water supply isn't always the same as far as the amount of stuff the purification plant adds to the water. Meaning, if we have high run off from snow or rain, the levels of chemicals are higher than usual. I also found that the Ph shock wasn't good either.

Now I keep 1 gallon jugs, like for milk, filled up with water and a few drops of Prime ready for each change. This allows the Ph and other chemicals time to adjust before I use them. I haven't lost a shrimp since.

Being that your tank has fish as well as shrimp, this might not be a practical solution but it sure has worked well for me and I haven't lost anyone since. If you do the bucket brigade to fill your tank, you might want to think about having a few buckets sit out for a day or 2 as refill water.

Yeah, I've tried to keep it as clean as possible. And dragonfish, that's a great idea, I've never thought about that. I always just get it straight from the tap and add dechlorinator and put it in the tank. I'll definitely let it sit for awhile. The only problem I can think of it getting the water the same temperature as what's in the tank. The only solution I can think of is letting the container of water float in the tank for awhile. Do you have a solution to this? Also, would you suggest adding some sort of ph tablet to quickly adjust the ph or will it change over time regardless?

Haha, yeah, I think I was being paranoid because the two dead ones I've seen have been near the rosette sword plant they hide in after molting. I'll definite be watching out for any aggression from the rasboras. Thanks for all the responses!

Back
Top Bottom