Rcs not breedi anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moobs99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guy iv had my RCS tank set up for about 4 months, I brought 10 RCS and now I have over 50, but I have not seen any berried for over a month now, I brought some java moss just before they stop, iv also noticed I since I added the java moss that iv lots of little flea like things in my water, any help would be great :)

The little fleas in your tank are called scuds by most aquarists. They are a tiny little shrimp like species. I consider them a pest. Your shrimp not breeding can be a number of things. Water parameters?

Waters parameters are the same as always nothing changed in that sense, how do I get rid of these scuds ?

Waters parameters are the same as always nothing changed in that sense, how do I get rid of these scuds ?

PWC's, gravel vacs and time. I had some copepods in my RCS tank at first, that came in with some plants I forgot to give an H-Peroxide dip to. Now, I don't see them at tall.

As for your RCS not breeding, that is something I'm interested in as I've had my RCS for about 4 almost 5 months. You mentioned your parameters are the same, how about your water temp?

Check out the link below.
What is that bug in my Aquarium? .:. Various small creatures that can inhabit a Freshwater Invertebrate Aquarium

Hi guy iv had my RCS tank set up for about 4 months, I brought 10 RCS and now I have over 50, but I have not seen any berried for over a month now, I brought some java moss just before they stop, iv also noticed I since I added the java moss that iv lots of little flea like things in my water, any help would be great :)

I have experienced up swings and down swings pertaining to breeding in my shrimp tank. They all seem to get berried at the same time, then have 0 berried for about a month, and then all of a sudden another 5 berried ones pop up.

The little fleas in your tank are called scuds by most aquarists. They are a tiny little shrimp like species. I consider them a pest. Your shrimp not breeding can be a number of things. Water parameters?

You can't be really sure they are scuds, they very well may be ostracods, aka "seed shrimp." They are tiny round "bugs" that swim around like drunken bumblebees. They are fed by uneaten food. I had tons of ostracods in my shrimp tank, but then I got a petri dish which minimized excess food in the tank. I only see a couple here and there any more.

I recommend getting a petri dish. Put the shrimp food in there, then, after a couple hours, pull it out. You can dump out all the excess food instead of having it sit in your tank, feeding pests and causing ammonia spikes.

I recommend getting a petri dish. Put the shrimp food in there, then, after a couple hours, pull it out. You can dump out all the excess food instead of having it sit in your tank, feeding pests and causing ammonia spikes.

Sorry to interrupt but I am starting an RCS tank and was going to buy a petri dish to feed in. Will plastic be okay or should I really try to get glass?

Back
Top Bottom