RCS Pico Vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been a while since I was on here regularly. My RCS colony has grown a bit (3 dozen minimum) so I figured I may try something I've seen others do(sometimes on even smaller scales). The vase holds approximately 4 cups of water with no decor so I'm gonna say 3 cups with gravel, Ludwigia repens and Java Moss. I used some gravel from my 55g to have an "insta-cycle", plus the plants should suck up any nitrates. Light is a clamp-on desk lamp with a 13W 6500K bulb about 5 inches from the surface of the water. Occupants are 2 Red Cherry Shrimp, I believe both of them are female. They have settled in quiet nicely.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 197
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 134
Thanks herp_mommy.

Yeah, it shouldn't get knocked over cause it is pretty sturdy. No filter or any hardware for that matter, the plants take care of removing nitrates; along with the fact that shrimp have a minuscule bioload. I've seen some people on these planted aquarium forums that did the same thing in a window seal with a small cup. RCS are superb little shrimp to have.

Cute!

Are you going to test the water? Are you making it a closed biosystem to take care of itself? Also a couple of salvinia minima should help absorb the bad stuff.

Not going to test the water due to the plants (I forgot, some Duckweed snuck in so it'll do a good job) and the gravel that I used from my mature 55g. I hope to have it as a low maintenance setup, like most of my aquariums. Unplanted tanks and High-Tech planted tanks have so much more that can go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom