Red cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a minimum on how many RCS you should have? I have a 55 gallon pretty well planted low light tank, community fish, I don't want them for cleaning purposes just wanted a few to have think theyd be neat addition.

Not really a minimum. I would suggest aiming for up to 10 as a good starting number in a 55. Then they should breed and you will wind up with a good number of shrimp when its all said and done.

depends on what type of fish you have and now densely planted your tank is, rcs might not be able to survive in there. Alot of fish that fits in a 55 gallon will eat the shrimps =/.

If you are lucky and your tank is stocked with non shrimp eating fish, then you should get whatever amount you want to have. Because there will likely not be much breeding happening in a community tank. They will have babies, but the shrimplets will get eaten. Any fish with a mouth large enough to eat a shrimplet, will eat it. So if you have fish over 1 inches, you will likely get very little new shrimps from your original shrimps. So just buy whatever you would like to have.

depends on what type of fish you have and now densely planted your tank is, rcs might not be able to survive in there. Alot of fish that fits in a 55 gallon will eat the shrimps =/.

If you are lucky and your tank is stocked with non shrimp eating fish, then you should get whatever amount you want to have. Because there will likely not be much breeding happening in a community tank. They will have babies, but the shrimplets will get eaten. Any fish with a mouth large enough to eat a shrimplet, will eat it. So if you have fish over 1 inches, you will likely get very little new shrimps from your original shrimps. So just buy whatever you would like to have.

Each Red Cherry female can have 10-30 babies from each clutch of eggs and can have that many eggs every 1-2 months. Sure many of them will get eaten, but provided you have enough hiding spots in your tank there will be a bunch that don't. The shrimplets are also surprisingly fast and able to easily get away from fish.

Each Red Cherry female can have 10-30 babies from each clutch of eggs and can have that many eggs every 1-2 months. Sure many of them will get eaten, but provided you have enough hiding spots in your tank there will be a bunch that don't. The shrimplets are also surprisingly fast and able to easily get away from fish.

that depends on what type of fish he has. I have tried the same, besides the adult shrimp, most of the shrimplets were killed and eaten.

Yeah, and even if some do survive they'll always be hiding so the OP would never see them.

Is there a minimum on how many RCS you should have? I have a 55 gallon pretty well planted low light tank, community fish, I don't want them for cleaning purposes just wanted a few to have think theyd be neat addition.

In a planted enough tank, you should be as to sustain a small colony.
You just won't see them. In my 75gal Barb tank, I hardly ever see my RCS ....
Though I know they are breeding since I've seen juveniles I know I didn't add recently.

Back
Top Bottom