Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I am getting some RCS next week and plan on putting them in my 3 gallon tank that has been running for three years (was my Betta Jax's tank he now in a divided 10 gallon) it has a piece of driftwood with Java fern and Annibus on it. Plus there is a IAL in there for biofilm. The surface has duckweed it is filtered by a Aquatop IF-201 with a spray bar faced to the side and heated with a 25w heater current temp is 80.1F. My question is do I need to add anything else like more plants or decor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

80 degrees is at the top of the range for them. Could lead to too rapid growth and failed molts. I'd bring that temp down a couple degrees.

If you have access to java moss (or any kind of moss) they absolutely LOVE that stuff.

How long has the betta been out of the tank? If it's been a while it may not be cycled anymore. Bacteria need food too!

He was moved today I plan on bringing the temp down to 77F I was planning on getting moss balls and I have the filter floss in my 10 gallon filter right now so I don't lose the cycle. My 10 gallon has been running for 2 yrs now with no problems. I also getting a cuttle bone to put a small piece in the tank to help them molt

He was moved today I plan on bringing the temp down to 77F I was planning on getting moss balls and I have the filter floss in my 10 gallon filter right now so I don't lose the cycle. My 10 gallon has been running for 2 yrs now with no problems. I also getting a cuttle bone to put a small piece in the tank to help them molt

sounds good! If you do see something like java moss around it's worth getting a bit. Grows in any condition and they love to pick through it. You may get some with your shipment, most people send a bit of some kind of moss with their shrimp shipments.

Do you know what the gH/kH of your tank is? Some people say that doesn't matter so much, but my shrimp didn't breed well until I added a little hardness to my super soft water. The cuttlebone will help with that a bit too.

Oh that will be fine for them. My problem was my source water had a gh/kh of about ~2. Developed molting issues before I figured out that was the problem! :)

I'm sure you've done some reading on these guys but as with all inverts, acclimation is going to be critical. The first thing I do when I get shrimp is add a drop of prime to the shipping water to neutralize any waste from shipping. Then drip acclimation slowly for at least a few hours is ideal. You probably don't know what their source water is, so imagine... if it came from someone like me their water would be changing 8 degrees of hardness and probably a couple degrees of pH going from that bag to your tank!

I do drip acclimation of 1 hour for all aquatic animals

Okay question full cuttle bone or half it's a 3.5 gallon tank?

I'd use the whole piece. The more calcium the better.

You already have hard water so you probably don't need much. I put a small piece in my tanks and just replace when it's gone. The cherries will nibble on it a bit when they need Ca

It sounds like a really good tank for them. 3 years old, stable, already has IAL with biofilm, some plants, doesn't need much else to thrive!

I agree with lowering temp to 78 or so. 80 is probably the highest you could go. I keep cuttlebone in my tanks, even with a GH of 8, just to make sure they have the nutrients they need. You don't need much. I just pinched off a piece with my tweezers and threw it in, along with some ground dust of the cuttlebone. I've read somewhere that too much can raise pH, but I haven't experienced that.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom