Red Cherry Shrimp Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g planted tank with shrimps and snails. I tried my best to remove as much snails as possible so I can focus on my shrimps.

There are about 10-15 large shrimps, and I see about 20 baby shrimps. And I was wondering how often to feed them and with what.

I do not want to overfeed because I do not want my snail population to increase again but I want to ensure my shrimps do not starve. Currently I throw in an algae wafer every 4-5 days.

I know that fries can feed off micro food from java moss, does shrimp do that as well? I have java moss covering up half my tank.

i drop an algae wafer in every week, or just add another one when you see that it's all gone. if the algae wafer isn't disturbed, it won't fly everywhere

Shrimp and snails are similar in the method that they feed, so it's hard to feed one without feeding the other. Your best bet is to just drop in wafers or pellets and manually remove the snails as you see them.

Should I change the diet by using cichlid pellets instead of algae wafer sometimes? And what is the best brand of algae for shrimps?

They might graze on it, but then again so will the snails. You'd probably do best by putting something like an algae wafer on a small saucer and placing it in the tank, come back and check in the morning and it should be covered with snails. Even if there is shrimp on it they'll scatter when you pull the plate out.

That's a smart idea. I tried to net it out, but couldn't do it without catching shrimps that didn't know how to escape.

Personally i like to Feed a varied diet !!

From The Shrimp Farm website:
Red Cherry Shrimp are considered omnivores. That means they will eat both plant matter as well as meaty foods. When keeping Red Cherry Shrimp in the aquarium the three most common foods are algae, blanched vegetable, and prepared aquarium foods. Supplemental feeding is often not necessary, but when it is be sure not to over feed the aquarium as this leads to poor water quality.

Algae is a natural food source for Red Cherry Shrimp. They will eat many types of algae found in the aquarium, and often times, the algae found naturally in aquariums is enough food to support a moderate Cherry Red Shrimp population. Unfortunately they will not eat string / hair algae so they are not a good control measure for those types of algae.

Blanched vegetables make an excellent food for Red Cherry Shrimp. Vegetables such as Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, and Carrots are commonly used. When preparing these vegetables, place them in boiling water until they are soft, 2-3 minutes for leafy vegetables and longer for carrots and zucchini. Small amounts of each should be fed at a time and make sure never to leave rotting food in the aquarium.

Foods that are prepared for aquarium animals are often a great supplement to algae for Red Cherry Shrimp. There are a few foods that are manufactured specifically for invertebrates, such as Hikari Crab Cuisine, and these foods are readily accepted. Any sinking pellet type food works well as a food source. Also, any common flake fish food that falls to the bottom will be eaten and for this reason, many aquarist use Red Cherry Shrimp as a clean up crew. Be sure to read the ingredients label carefully, any food containing copper should not be used. (Copper Sulfate is a common ingredient in fish foods)

While modest populations of Red Cherry Shrimp will often not need supplemental feedings, there are many options when it becomes necessary. Cherry Red Shrimp do not require a lot of food, and heavy feeding tends to degrade water quality.

>>>>>>><
I'll list some of my prepared foods I feed later.

Back
Top Bottom